a coat, use a blanket?, one of those full body winter suits? a bundleme carseat cover? a bunting?? what do you use to keep a 4 and a half month old warm but not HOT in the car in the winter????

we live in Indiana so it gets pretty cold but the car is almost always warmed up first....and anything too puffy will require i adjust the carseat straps and then if there is a warmer day and she doesnt wear said puffiness then i will have to adjust the carseat straps again....???? what do/did you use??

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 9:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you have to adjust the straps, it's too puffy for the seat. Please watch the video and read the article I posted.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• braden.. i agree with you. i dont think infants should wear heavy coats or be strapped to heavy blankets in the carseat. always cover your baby up after they're strapped in. i think what i suggested with a warm footed sleeper and a hat is fine with a blanket on top after baby is strapped in is fine.. but again im in florida and have no idea how cold it gets in indiana. but i think if youre just carrying her from door to car, with heater already on, then it's fine. if youre going for a long walk with her in the stroller, then obviously she would need to be dressed warmer.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• well here in florida we dont have to worry too much about cold weather. i would probably dress her in something warm, like a warm sleeper outfit that covers feet, maybe a hat to cover her little head, and then covered with a blanket (after you already have her strapped in, so you dont have to manuever the straps over the blanket) just from the trip to the front door to the car, once you're in the car if it's too hot you can remove the blanket.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Haha..I got voted down because I told the truth? Wow, I hope you aren't in any accidents with you babies in puffy coats, those coats contract and baby is no longer protected by the straps.

Have you ever seen those space bags when people put comforters in them and mash them? Same thing. Crash tests with puffy coats will show you why it is even a rule in the damn carseat safety book that comes with the seats.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Layers! We live in Vermont and it gets cold here too. Bradensmom is correct that putting your child in a carseat in a puffy snowsuit affects the ability of the carseat to properly keep your baby safe in an accident, and I also find that kids get too warm in a car in full outdoor gear. We had a one-piece fleece coverall that we put on baby over his clothes. We strapped him in to his carseat in that, and then layered warm blankets over it to transport him from house to car and then usually took them off in the car so he wouldn't be too hot. We really only used his big puffy snowsuit when we were outside for a while. If we were taking the car somewhere and were then going to be outside for a while, I just brought his snowsuit with us and put it on him before bringing him outside.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• NEVER put baby in a carseat in anything even remotely puffy. Cover her after you strap her in. A blanket.

http://homeofficemum.blogspot.com/2010/10/winter-coats-in-carseats-safety-alert.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I live in Indiana also, so I understand your concern. I used a bundleme, loved it, and had no problems.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 9:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I fully agree tnm786.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would do as some of the others suggested,dress baby in a warm sleeper or whatever and wear a hat and use a car seat cover.
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 10:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The carseat covers are awesome. And yeah, the suits are no good in a seat. LOL Like I said, the suit compresses and the straps become ineffective.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2010