Should I ask my doctor to do an exam?

I am at 31 weeks (will be at 32 tomorrow) and have a doctor's appointment coming up. Lately I have been experiencing pressure and aching in my pelvis and lower abdomen. It's enough to make me wince and the best way to describe the soreness is that it feels like someone punched me repeatedly in the cervix. I did not experience anything like this in my first pregnancy, so I feel a little alarmed at times. My doctor's visits are very in-and-out efficient, and I'm worried the doctor may just brush off my complaint as a "normal" discomfort of pregnancy. Preterm labor would be a very bad thing in my case because I live a long way from the hospital. Should I ask the doc to do an exam? Or am I worrying over nothing?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 8:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• During my pregnancy I experienced pains simiar to yours. They were sooo bad. I described them as feeling like someone was stabbing my cervix with a knive and twisting it. The pain would last about a minute and would stop me dead in my tracks. My midwife said it was normal. I don't think she did an exam- but if you want your doctor to do one, make him! Maybe call ahead to the nurses office and let them know what you want to do so the doctor has a heads up. The exams only take a few minutes- I think a Dr. can spare that out of his day for a concerned mother.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I would ask. It couldn't hurt to have him look. The worst that happens is he tells you that you're just being paranoid...lol. He might want to check just to make sure that you haven't started to dilate. Good luck.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 8:55 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Thank you! I am definitely going to mention my concerns to the doctor and add the fact that I am a little worried about being so far from the hospital. I think I would be most comfortable if I did get examined, just to ease my fear of dilating too early.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• it doesnt sound more than braxton hicks contractions - just be sure to tell your doc cause they wont be able to diagnose anything unless you tell them - they can check to see if your cervix is dialating or getting soft -
    it sounds like you will be fine though - does the pain go away when you lay on your left side? i didnt have braxton hicks with my first pregnancy but i have experienced them with this one... (they hapened when i was in Target and my knuckles were white on the grocery cart~!)
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 9:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I didn't notice Braxton-Hicks with my first pregnancy, so that may be why I'm so alert to any discomfort this time around. I get contractions that I assume are Braxton-Hicks (my whole belly tightens and scrunches - it can be uncomfortable but never really painful), but these pains are much lower in my abdomen and don't really feel like contractions...just constant soreness, twinging, and pressure as if I have to pee every single second of the day, even after I just finished going. Do you think these are also a variation of Braxton-Hicks?
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 9:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008