Possibly a stupid question?

I was wondering if gestational diabetes during pregnancy can be determined through urine analysis or if it has to be a blood draw. I am 21 weeks pregnant with twins and I have this nagging suspicion something may be up with my sugars. I've looked up the signs and and things to watch for and it seems they all match mine with the exception of excess weight gain. I've only gained 15lbs so far which seems about right in my book. Just wondering because I do give a urine sample at every appointment but nothing has ever been mentioned to me about it. Should I ask my Dr to test me just incase?

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Nope, not through urine analysis. They do the glucose tolerance test. They will draw blood from you & then make you drink this horrible sweet drink & then wait an hour & test your blood again. If you don't pass that (meaning, if you are suspected of GD) they'll make you do the test again. This time they'll test your blood, make you drink, test your blood again every hour for 3 hours. If you suspect that you do have GD, maybe you can ask you doctor if you can just go straight to the 3 hour test so you'll only have to drink that stuff once. I had GD with my son & only gained 24 pounds throughout the whole pregnancy, so it is possible not to have major weight gain & also have GD. Good luck! Start going low carb now!!
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It won't be long and you will have to do your glucose test.

You can bring it up though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think in order for them to get how high your sugar level is they need to do the blood test, because someitmes if it's just a little high you can change your diet and it will go down but if it's high they may need you to take meds. I had it and it sucked. I was always thirsty. You would have thought that earths water was going to dry up, I couldn't stop drinking.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thanks ladies =)
    Ctink8189

Comment by Ctink8189 (original poster) at 11:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010