How do you handle it: 2 kids one invited?

My DDs are less than 2 years apart. My oldest was invited to a bday party, but not my youngest. I am not letting the youngest go. Explained to her that there will be times she gets to go and sissy wont. My friends think I am insane and should take my youngest and drop her off. They say it is generally expected if there are younger sibblings they will be attending too. Is this true?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 9:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• You are right, only the child that is invited should go to the party. Your youngest daughter will understand it when she gets invited to parties without her older sister.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If in doubt, a quick call to the mother hosting the party. Say you've heard others are bringing younger siblings, and you just wanted to check it out before the day of the party. It might give her a head's up that there will be "party crashers."

Never assume all your children are invited...the party might be "catered" for 10 children, or there might only be 10 cupcakes and 10 guest gifts...

GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, it's not true. Unless your kids are twins and have all the same friends, why would the younger child expect to go? Obviously it's a friend of the older child. And I'd never want to be teaching my kids to just do what they feel like, no matter what the actual facts were.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No.. When I fill out invites for my girls' parties, I put all kids' names on the invitation.. If my friend has 3 kids, I put all 3 on the envelope...unless it is an all girl party.. then I only put the girls name.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, I would opnly take the child that is invited. For one thing, the activities will be centered around the b-day child's age group. I actually think it would be rude to drop off a child not invited. Like you are asking them to babysit.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, the parents are prepared for so many kids. Not the siblings included. You are doing the right thing.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 9:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No that's not true! Our boys are 13 months apart in age, but have their own friends. I don't think that's fair to either of the children or the parents that are having the party.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If the invitation is just for the one girl, I think it would be very rude to bring her sister too. I do just what you did and tell my other kids that they will be invited to parties for their school friends too and will get to go by themselves.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't know why you would take the child that wasn't invited...I am assuming this is a party of for a friend of your older daughter, so why would anyone assume that meant the younger was invited as well? I don't mean to sound rude, that just doesn't make sense.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Explain to you daughter that every child has her own friends and that she will get to go to plenty of things without her sister,, I am kind of amazed that your friends think you should just go ahead and take your non-invited kid,,! The parents are probably trying to keep cost down, and do age appropriate acitivities, have fun!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2010