Do you think "the customer is always right" still counts?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No. If you've ever worked retail you know this doesn't apply. Customers will try to get away with murder if you let them

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Customers now are not the same as they were 50 years ago, nor are the products made with the same quality. Better to say, "You get what you pay for!"
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 10:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I work in sales/customer service.. I get a lot of customers who think they are right & our policy is 100% satisfaction guaranteed.... so some people get a little more than what they deserve.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:07 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, and I have never really understood that.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 10:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's a highly abused practice in my opinion. Some people take advantage of that adage.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No. There are a lot of people out there who are greedy, crazy, or just plain DUMB.

And while customers deserve respect and good service, they also need to be kept in check when their behavior is threatening, dangerous, or disturbing to their fellow customers and/or the staff of the establishment.

In the time I worked retail and restaurants, I had customers do things that were grossly out of line (throw food on the floor, smoke pot in the building, defecate on the bathroom floors, etc.) and I've had times where my safety was threatened for doing my job (like the time the guy came OVER the counter swinging punches because I suggestively upsold a larger drink to him). SOME people have taken disgusting advantage of the sense of entitlement given by "the customer is always right". No, sometimes they are very definitely wrong.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, and I never will! Having worked in retail for 7 years, I've seen people try to get away with incredibly ridiculous things, and, as an employee, I always had to put a smile on my face and put up with it. I hated being talked down to as if I were an idiot.
    Treefrog64

Answer by Treefrog64 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It should, but no it definitley doesn't. Nowadays you get employees at Taco Bell getting lippy with you.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You have to make sure the customer is satisfied, to keep up your reputation as the better person. Even if they want to get out of the store with more products or pride than they deserve. If you're a cashier just doing your job, direct the issue to your supervisor so they can handle it in a quieter place, as those type of customers are great at causing scenes!
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 10:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No. I've always thought at the very least there should be decent customer service but I'm not sure it should go so far as the customer is always right. Unfortunately, in many even decent customer service has fallen by the wayside.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2010