My 15 month old has a cold. She has a runny nose and watery eyes. She isn't sleeping at all. My doctor doesnt recommend cold medicine for any age. Any suggestions?

madimom290

Asked by madimom290 at 10:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• bulb syringe for the nose. Suck those boogies out!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Slightly elevate one end of her bed with a pillow under the mattress. Put a cool mist humidifier in her room. When my son gets this way, sometimes I end up sleeping in the recliner with him on my chest.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Use the bulb syringe like first poster said and also keep her bundled up and she can sweat it out....thats what I had to do with my son. Also you can sit in the bathroom with hot water running in the shower and that will help clear her out. Good luck and hope she feels better soon!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would go to a different doctor, my 15 month had those symptoms, we gave him Walgreens cold and fever, 5 mil every 4 hours for one day and he recovered
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 10:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Bulb syringe, and humidifier,,, I would probably still give a bit of cold medicine! One dose would be okay, and let you and her get some rest!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I read somewhere,don't know if it is true,but that cold/cough medicines can just make it worse,that is except Tylenol.Tylenol and lots of rest is the best thing to fight colds,now don't take my word for it,again just something I read.When my 14 month old gets a cold I give him 0.8 mL of toddler tylenol
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 10:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Give lots of pedialyte, as much as she will drink. It also helps to fog up the bathroom and sit in there for a while to clear sinuses, or I used to use little ones nasal drops for mine with the nasal aspirator.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My pedi also said never to give cold meds at this age but you can give kids benedryl to relieve some of the nasal symptoms.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Also pedialyte, I use for him ibuofpen and switch off to tyneol, but he's a big guy so he can handle. plus with his cold he teething right now!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010