What "tolerance" do you want to get or see?

I hear a lot of anti gay marriage people say pro gay marriage people don't show THEM tolerance. In what way?
As it is, I don't see anyone preventing you from believing what you want, nor demanding that your church's be closed down for preaching on the subject. I don't see anyone fighting to put up a vote that states those opposed to gay marriage must be silenced.
You can stand on the street corner and shout from the rooftops how "opposed" you are to it. You can pray pray about it all you want, no one can nor should stop you. I actually realize you have every right to your beliefs and your opinions about others lives.
I can understand how you would confuse my having an opinon that your belief is wrong as my stepping into your life. As it is exactly what you actually do when you step into gay peoples bedrooms and try to dictate who they should be having sex with.
So, again, how am I NOT tolerating you?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I'm pretty tolerant of a lot of beliefs and opinions that differ from my own. But I'll be the first to admit that I an NOT tolerant of anyone who has a problem with homosexuality. The thing is, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, because the anti-gay mindset is extremely negative. Why would anyone respect or have tolerance for that?
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I've wondered this myself... Not just in regard to Gay marriage either.

How does it affect someone else if I live with my SO and do not marry? How does it affect them if I do not attend their church, participate in their religion, or agree with them? How does it affect their little lives if I gather with like minded individuals for a meeting- You know, like they do every sunday?
    How is my disagreeing with them somehow intolerant?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You missed my whole point. I DON"T VOTE TO SILENCE YOU. EVEN if it were put up to vote against your voice, I would NEVER do that. It's about treating all people equally, despite our personal beliefs. I would never vote against the rights of another citizen. Just b/c the vote is put up doesn't mean you HAVE to vote on it. THATS my point.

SO well said. Thank you!
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 10:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Gay Marriage Pie Chart (jpg)

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Alana, you are right!!!!!! Gal I thank you for this!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 3:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 10:42 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Gay marriage is legal in SOME states...not all. So no it is not legal in America...it is legal in certain states of America.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 10:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You have to give people the freedom to vote or then you become the silencer.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• "You have to give people the freedom to vote or then you become the silencer. "

Yes of courses. But those votes shouldn't be on citizens rights. And if they are, then people should stand up say "no I'm not going to vote to take my brothers sisters rights away." YOu have the luxury of having all of your rights as it is now. So it's easy to sit there and say, "well it's up for vote, I'm voting on it." Simply b/c it doesn't mesh with your personal religious beliefs. But thats not what voting is about. It's about keeping our country free and FOR the people. You are voting AGAINST the people.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I understand you, honestly and you have good points. And for your correction - I do not vote. I do not place value in our government and I have never stood in the way. I do not have to be for or against. The fact remains, that it does come down to voting and you are incorrect for thinking all christians are prohibiting it. So your point is useless.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 11:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2010