Need some help ladies...

I figured posting this here would get the most attention. I have a friend who is having some major health problems. She just found out she has cervical cancer in which they want her to have chemo before & after surgery. Here is the problem, she doesn't have a job. Her hubby makes to much to get medicaid & in order to qualify for medicare she would have to have a part time job, but unemployment in our area is on the rise. Jobs are very scarce here. I have been racking my brain on what I can do to help her. She checked into the surgery & all on what it will cost for her & she is looking at $26,000+. She is 27 & she has a 1 yr old little girl. I know a benefit would be a great idea, but where to start & what should I ask for & from who. I really want to help her out so any suggestions would be wonderful.

HelenStoner

Asked by HelenStoner at 9:08 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Relationships

• Have you tried google....they might have some helpful info..I'm sorry I don't have any other answers. I will pray for you friend. God bless her, and you too for wanting to help her : )
    Anonymous

• I would start with: Does her SO have benefits offered to him, can he put her on his insurance, and if so, would the extra payment to the insurance company every month be more or less than the payments she would be making without it.
    '
    This is going to sound childish, but do you have a MySpace? Recently a young couple had a baby with a ton of health problems, and at 3 months old needs a liver transplant...yeah. wow. Anyways, friends of theirs advertised on MySpace through the bulletin feature that they were doing a weekend long car wash to help raise money to pay for some of the medical expenses. They made $15,000!!! People came by to donate and not even get their car washed, it was a huge success.

As far as an actual benefit I have no ideas :( Sorry!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Oh, and I meant recently in my town, lol
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Call the 1-800 number for Cancer Treatment Center of America and see what they say. Cancer is a big business (sorry but it's true) and they will always find a way to get their money in these cancer treatment centers. I hear CTCA are pretty decent folks and they might be able to advise.
    BTW, my grandmother died of cancer in 1953. My mom died of it in 1999. I'm very bitter that with all the money that is raised for research they don't have a cure yet. When you see these centers popping up on every corner you see why they are not in a hurry to find a cure. I apologize if I offend anyone but greed has its nasty hand in this and decent folks are suffering for it imo.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• A benefit is a good idea but you'd need a lot more then that to raise that amount of money. You could sell 50/50 tickets, get some one to donate a prize and sell tickets on that, have an auction benefit and also a dance benefit over a period of time. If you attend a church you could ask them for help as well. You could also form a prayer chain for her. And you can encourage her relatives and friends that don't live in your area to do the same things. There may also be other government assisstance available.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 9:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I don't know what state you live in but there are special cervical/breast cancer medicaid waivers for which the eligibility reguirement is to be diagnosed. ( I f I'm not mistaken) We are off tomorrow, election day, but I will check on Wednesday for you and hope that I can get back to this place. Better yet, please leave me a note on my page and that way I will be sure that I can get back to you. I will check some other resource also for you. Once a woman is found eligible for this Medicaid waiver, she will never be terminated.   

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 9:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008