How bad are c-sections?

My first baby was 9lb's 3oz, only 20 inches long...she got stuck, as many babies can even at 4lbs...hard to believe when I had a watermelon squeezed through that thing! But we had a lot of problems, not so much with me, but with her own health at her first few days of life. Now pregnancy 2 we are going to have a c-section. My doctor says there is really no choice in the matter. It's to life threatening for our little one. How bad are they, I'm so nervous. Where do I get cut, and how long is recovery. I know everyone is different. Only 9 weeks 6 days to my scheduled c-section.
Don't worry about scaring me, why you have your butt blown it's kind of normal to expect pain, just nervous is all. Ava broke her collar bone, had marconium in her lungs, had a hematoma from being stuck, her blood preasure was weakening, and when was out they held kept her from me in oxygen. So a c-section is necessary. For both of our health.

b_stotka

Asked by b_stotka at 10:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had an emergency c-section with my daughter and have to have another for this one.The surgery itself isnt bad.You just lay there and dont feel anything and then theres baby by your head.You go to recovery and then on to your room to rest and see baby like normal.The only terribel part is the pain from the incision.Its just uncomfortable and irritating.Pain killers def help though.Dont worry,all will be fine!And just think,you dont have to go through any pain to have this baby!
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 11:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• They can be life saving for both mother and child, they can be unnecessary, and like any surgery, they carry the risk of complications. You will most likely be cut across your bikini line, about 4 inches. Depending on your pain threshold and healing ability, the pain can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. If you have a recliner, it will be your best friend for about a week because you won't be able to lie flat. Some hospitals will give you an abdominal binder to splint the incision and help with pain. If not, hold a pillow against you when you walk or cough. Just remember, you are recovering from major surgery and have to take it easy. Mommy instinct kicks in and you want to do everything, but operate on what you can tolerate. The bleeding is going to be the same and your milk will come in at the same time. If you choose to nurse, there are positions you will learn so you don't aggravate your incision.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:40 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had my son by emergency c-section. He was out in less then 10 min. They did the bakini cut right above the pubic bone. This way you dont have the scar down your stomach anymore. Now it has been a year and a half and you can barley see the scar. There was not much pain after either. I know everyone has a different pain tollerence but for me I only used my pain killers for about 3-4 days then I did not need them anymore. If you want to know more about the procedure itself then I would reccomend you talk to your doctor and see if they will be doing the surgery and how they are planing on performing it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I've had 2 c-sections. And with the recovery from the first I found the more I got up and walked around the maternity ward the easier and less painful it got. So, I recommend walking when you can, it's tough at first and might even take you a good 15 minutes just to sit up, ubt it does help. I was able to walk around normally by the 3rd day and was completely healed and recovered by the 2 week mark.

The cut is done low above your pubic area. I'm a size 14 and I have a "belly roll" my scar is under the "belly roll" right above my pubic area.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The cut is really low, below the panty line. The worst part, imo, was the recovery. It took about 3 -4 weeks for me, but I've heard for some women, recovery can last a couple months. Painkillers work wonders though and with those, it's not that bad.The actual surgery isn't bad, you don't feel a thing. Don't want to scare you, this is fairly rare, but after my c-section, my cervix wouldn't clamp, so I had a lot of blood loss and had to have 2 bags of blood.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It wasn't too bad. I had my c-section really early in the morning and after I was out of surgery I was sick all day throwing up. It really sucked because I didn't feel like I could enjoy having my baby with me. Also, once I got home the recovery was hard. I had a lot of pain on my inside incision, but I refused to take the drugs they gave me, I only took Tylenol, so that was my own fault. But all in all, I would have one again if I had to and not be too worried about it. The incision is very low, but pretty long. I also had uncontrollable shakes in the surgery room. I don't know what the deal was. I couldn't stop shaking. The nurse said it is very normal. Make sure you take your camera in the room with you so they can take a picture of your husband and you with the baby and of your husband cutting the cord.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Do you feel comfortable getting one? Did he give you a medical reason why you need one? If you are not comfortable with it, you should look into a 2nd opinion.

I had an emergency c-section. My incision is about 5-6 inches long and just where my pubic hair starts. It is really difficult to notice. I had to be knocked out for my c-section since the spinal block didn't work. My bottom didn't hurt though, so I had no problems sitting.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had a c-section with my son and don't feel it was that bad. The scar is not that noticeable and is just above my pubic hairline. I really did not have pain with my recovery and didn't take any pain medication, but I realize everyone is different. I wore the midsection binder for about a week. The hardest part of recovery for me was trying to take it easy. I was told not to lift anything heavier than my baby. Talk to your doctor about your concerns and good luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's different for everybody, I guess... I had a c-section after being in labor for about 26 hours with no progress whatsoever. It wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared. The cut is right below my bikini line, and now (2 years later) it's barely noticable. I did lose some sense of sensation right around the scar, but it doesn't bother me at all. As for recovery, I was in the hospital for 4 days all together, and the first 2-3 days were hard to get around. But honestly, after I went home, I never even took any of the pain pills. I was able to walk up and down stairs just fine, I slept in my bed just fine, and I could handle my baby with no issues too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My c-sect sucked. I'm told it wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't following 40 hours of labor, and 3 hours of pushing. Be prepared. Get some good help - grandmas, etc. Someone who is great with your first child, and whom you don't mind too much seeing you all kinds of wrecked. Yes - a recliner. Even an old 2nd hand one to use and then toss. BELLY BANDIT - hold your guts together. Wish I'd have had one. TMI - keep the peri-care spray bottles, or have a hand sprayer in the shower to wash "down there".
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 1:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010