3yr old wont tell me when he has to go potty

I have been potty training our 3 yr old son for the past 3 weeks. He does well when you tell him its time to go to the bathroom but he wont tell me when he has to go. I've had him in regular undies and that hasn't been working because he doesnt care that he goes in them and is wet. I'm getting so frustrated with this whole thing that i just want to give up. any advice on how i can get him to tell me when he has to go would be great.

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Go wish mine would stop telling me everytime he has to go.
    Before we would ask him every hour - two hours., then he started telling us. I guess we got annoying lol.
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 10:35 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Just keep asking him I guess, he will catch on eventually.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Same issue here. My 3 year old daughter is the same way. :( it sucks but all we can do is just keep trying
    punkypreggo

Answer by punkypreggo at 4:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• if he doesn't know that it's time to go... potty training si never going to work... sorry.
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's going to take awhile for him to get to that point. My son is 4 and has been potty trained for a year, but we still have to remind him to go potty sometimes. When we first started, I think we were taking him like every hour. Then we inreased it to 2 hours. We would always remind him to tell us when he needed to go. We also learned to recognize his cues. If he started acting real fidgety or started walking around in circles while playing, we knew he had to go. He always has been good about telling us when he needed to poop; it's peeing that was the problem. We still remind him about 2-2.5 hours, but he's starting to get much better about telling us or just going on his own.

Your son will get there. It just takes time and patience.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• To get my son (3 years old) to tell me when he had to go potty I took our morning cartoons away (always a distraction for him) told him he had to earn it back. I used a 5oz baby bottle and marbles. Each time he told me he had to use the potty he received 1 marble (no punishment for accidents) and after 3 day he was asking to use the potty and watching cartoons.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2010