Was this wrong of me?

Last night my husband went out with some friends drinking which is fine with me.So we agreed he would be home by 1 am to give him plenty of time he left the house around 5 pm Well 3 am rolled around and i was worried so i called his friend and said he was plastered. He did not even bother to call me to let me know he was ok. He eventually called me at 5 am and all he could say was "the drinks kept coming so i kept drinking". He also said he was driving drunk but not that far. I was so frustrated and i did not want to argue so i told him i will not put up with this and well to get to the point... i locked him out of the house. I guess im just tired of playing the nice gal and letting him say things that he never does. Did i over react?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• LOL! No, hold your ground and let him know you're not happy with what he did. Especially considering he was driving drunk.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 10:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• – collapse
    Why did he have a curfew? He stayed out later........

He's a grown adult that can take care of himself. Big deal if he came in at 1 or 3.... You're his wife, not his mother.
    You did over react.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 10:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Hell no you did not over react!!!

The problem is that he goes out with the guys drinking on a weeknight why?

I have been with my husband for 35-years (dated 5) and he has never gone out and gone drunk like that, I would not put up with that!!!

The party has to stop sooner or later, time to grow up. Just remember he only does what you let him do, if you do not like it tell him no more!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, I don't think you over-reacted. Yes he's a grown man but he should be a little more mature. He's married and (i'm guessing) has children. Staying out all night drinking then driving drunk is highly irresponsible, especially for a husband and father.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's his home. Locking him out of his own home is like a landlord locking you out of your home because he didn't like the way you signed your rent check. (silly, immature and probably illegal in most states)

Answer by admckenzie at 10:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Remind him that drunk driving is very dangerous, NOT A JOKE, he could of killed a family with small kids. Could he live knowing that?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• First of all driving drunk is dangerous and puts your whole family in jeopardy (your future and finances) secondly it's extremely inconsiderate to be out drinking (or doing anything) past the time people are expecting you and not at least pick up the phone and call.

It doesn't matter that he's an adult, in fact because he's an adult he should be mature and responsible enough to be considerate. She shouldn't be left at home worrying or put in the position of having to track him down to make sure he's okay.

I went through a lot of this when we were first married, I think guys sometimes take awhile to grow up and be more responsible. The good news, we've been married 22 years, and over the years my husband did grow up, and become a wonderful husband. It isn't easy to deal with while you're going through it, my heart is with you.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You overreacted by locking him out of the house, you would have let him in first, then give him a piece of your mind, when he's sober.
    joysweet

Answer by joysweet at 11:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• While it's true that he's an adult, he's an adult with responsibilities to you and to your children. If you had already talked about it and he said he would be home by 1 AM, then he should've at least had enough respect for you to call and tell you that he wouldn't be home on time. Also, any grown man who feels the need to go out and get so drunk that he puts himself and others in danger by driving in that condition isn't really a mature adult at all, now is he? You definitely need to sit down and have a serious discussion about this with him.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Sounds like your bigger problem is a husband with a drinking problem. He doesn't know how to limit his intake. That is not OK for a husband or a father.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2010