How do I work myself up to running?

I just started yet another mission to lose weight. I've always walked but this time I think I want to run. What is the best way to work myself up to running. As pathetic as it sounds i've been switching off every 2 minutes (run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run, walk, etc.) Also what do you think is best, running or walking, as far as to lose weight.

mlmsm928

Asked by mlmsm928 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Great question!! You method of running is perfect if you want to start running. I train for half marathons and this is how we train, so we don't put too much wear and tear on our body. As far as loosing weight, running is great for overall health, however, it can cause muscle build up (which will add weight). If you work up a good sweat then yes, you burn calories, which will lead to weight loss. Weight loss happens when you consume less calories than your average intake, combined with exercise for toning the body. Go to http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598 calculate how many calories you need per day according to your age, height, and activity level. Then cut out 200 or so from your daily calorie intake. DO NOT DIET, it doesn't work. It builds on your cravings and tricks your body. Just eat balanced healthy meals. I personally have to have carbs everyday (a lot) to stay healthy, everybody is different.
    jeroneka

Answer by jeroneka at 10:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thanks Jeroneka, I'm not too worried about the #, more of just how I look. I assume running will be great to burn the fat and thats really what i'm looking for.
    mlmsm928

Comment by mlmsm928 (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• There is a program called "Couch to 5K" that has great information on beginning a running program. You can google it.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 4:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think what you're doing is great! That's how I started running after taking a 10+ year break from it, lol. I started off walking, built up my endurance and then started adding in the jogging. At first, I could only jog for a few minutes before I'd switch back to walking. Now I can run a few miles without stopping :-) Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there. And as Keksie suggested, there are some guides out there if you feel like you need a more structured routine to reach your goals.
    One other note...if you really want to burn fat and shape up, you simply must add some weight training to your fitness routine. Toning the muscles will not only help streamline your figure, but will help you burn more calories when your body is at rest. This is factual and can be easily verified by googling. You will NOT bulk up because as a woman, your body doesn't have enough testosterone to do so. Good luck and kudos to you!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:35 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Start out slow & work your self up.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:56 AM on Jan. 9, 2011

• I don't think running burns too much more than walking, actually. Sounds like you're on the right track to work yourself up to running for longer distances! Good luck!
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2011