What does this mean to you?

Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." (King James Version).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would say that it means not to take more than you share of natural resources, but knowing the King James Bible- it means something else!
    I am Episcopalian and King James has always confused me?
    "But really I'd have to go with - don't be disillusioned by the people who have more pride in their success, looks or qaulities - follow God, believe in God."
    That is my best guess.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Otherwise you don't make it to Heaven - maybe?
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• But what is scarey is we were planning to put in a deck!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• oh..its xmastime again, isn't it? *ssssiiiigggghhhh*
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:10 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• nothing

Your scriptures mean nothing to me.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Whoever wrote that(and note I dont believe it was God or Jesus) wanted others to believe that those who look elsewhere then where he thinks they should is "lost".

Just another attempt to make those who dont do it the "christian" way look bad or sound bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Do not put your faith in the ways of man. It is man that tries to read the stars and make them mean something. It is man that builds statues and altars and such and covers them with gold and silver and make it of some kind of importance. These were heathen, people not of God, rituals and practices. The Israelites were not to follow in this manner.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• nothing

Your scriptures mean nothing to me.

Answer by MamaK

Then what on earth moves you to even read the post,let alone feel the need to comment on it? I just don't understand that.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 4:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• From my perspective as an amateur biblical scholar, it seems to be about building false idols. Worshipping man-made "gods", whatever those may be. It means that Yahweh/Jehovah is pretty touchy about his people whoring after other gods--even if those gods are more real than he is.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• "and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven" = phenomena in the sky superstitiously regarded by the pagans as dire omens.

Don't have false gods. Be in the world, but not of it.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 11:24 PM on Nov. 18, 2010