Santa lives within our hearts

I was heart broken reading some of the posts regarding Santa...I can't even imagine letting a child believe there is no Santa, he was and still is a huge part of my Christmas, although Jesus is the biggest reason to celebrate, Santa plays a close second. My most wondrous Christmas' were my own memories of Santa and then I was able to pass that down to my own children. I absolutely think children should be allowed to and possibly even need to feel the warmth and magic Santa can bring. Children don't hold the gift of Santa against us, once they learn about the tradition. My children still believe with the exception of my 14 yr old, who to this day shares in the secret that brings so much joy to her brother and sister. Santa gets credit for most of the kids gifts except for 1 nice gift and any clothing at our house. My 14 year old didn't feel betrayed, she believes in Santa now but she realizes he was a gift from her parents

sharlyn669

Asked by sharlyn669 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Holidays

• Jesus was born in the springtime.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would not have wanted to miss that experience as a child either. I have such wonderful memories. My parents made Christmas so beautiful and cozy. We had an advent wreath and prayers at dinner time, and a chocolate advent calander too. We went to midnight mass, and it would move me to tears. I am not here to bash the beliefs of others, but there are many Pagan/Wican moms out there these days...seems kind of (in) if you will. To each their own.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We celebrate Christmas here for family and Santa, as a Pagan myself and Dh a non practicing Christian, Santa
    takes center stage around here...
    Everyone celebrates differently and rightly so... that is why it is called YOUR family traditions...
    I grew up with Santa and so did my dd's and now my grandson/children and now that our grandson (9) knows that
    we are his Santa it is a bit heart breaking for me, but he asked me one day if I still believed in Santa and I told him yes,.
    he is and always will be in my heart... he was fine finding out...no emotional break-down and did not loose respect for us
    or hate us bc we told him the story of Santa...
    But it is and always will be up to the parents to decide how they raise their own children and it is NOT for another to
    tell them/us wither or not it's right or wrong...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:22 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I agree with you. When my children who are all teens now, came to me to ask of Santa was real, we had a wonderful talk about the meaning of Santa and the original Saint Nicholas that he's modeled after and how we learn about kindness and sharing from that. And since we're Christians, they grew up knowing that the celebration of Christ's birth was the main reason for the holiday. BTW, I don't care if Jesus was born in the springtime, we are celebrating the fact of his birth, not the exact date. And to combine it with other holidays just seems to make it that much more special. I think it would be wonderful if we could all share our holidays and traditions together, not use them as reasons to feel divided from one another.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I simply stated an opinion not in anyway did I state that others should take on my traditions or beliefs, I try not to get into religious matters because it is not my desire or right to change anyone. If my references offended anyone I am sincerely sorry, your beliefs are just as important as anyone else's regardless. I just wanted to explain how important Santa was to my family, tradionally speaking.
    sharlyn669

Comment by sharlyn669 (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I so agree with your post.....I love the Santa tradition....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I know I am not the most "mature" person with what I like to believe in, but I still really do believe in Santa. I think there has to be something behind Christmas miracles that you hear about.
    wenona_mandy

Answer by wenona_mandy at 2:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i love the santa tradition
    jojo153

Answer by jojo153 at 7:17 AM on Nov. 18, 2010