The Christmas Tree

What do you make of this ladies?

Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." (King James Version).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Holidays

• Um , I make no more of that statement than I do a passage from any other mythological book.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't really think it has to do with a Christmas tree!!!!
    The Christmas tree tradition is accredited to being started by the Germans around the 15th and 16th centuries.
    We do not use this tree as an idol, the tree discussed in this passage were those used as carved idols, thus the mention of a chisel in the original version.
    Trees used to be carved into the shape of pagan gods and goddesses such as Asherah. That is what this refers to passage actually refers too.

http://www.orlutheran.com/html/jer10.html

Just n case you'd like to look it up yourself, ANON!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 11:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I can never understand bible verse's..sorry...
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• :) I don't know what to make of it.....but I doubt that God is offended by my Christmas tree...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• And that is why I don't read that..whatever you want to call it. Probably has nothing to do with a freakin' Christmas tree, anyway!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010