Is it Hypocritical to be a Christian and worship at a church that does not bear Christ's Name?

This is a question for my Christians: I was studying the word and just have this question - Knowing that the meaning of names is so important in God's word and salvation is only through Christ (Acts 4:12), is it hypocritical to be a Christian and worship at a church that does not bear Christ's Name - (1 Corinthians 11-13)? If he died for his church shouldn't his church bear his name (His name is higher than the Angels - Hebrews 1:4)? Tell me your thoughts, please if you have scripture provide!

cutemommie2

Asked by cutemommie2 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• never thought of it
    in my thought, God does not have an ego like this, he would rather us live as Christ lived by example, even if we do not believe in Christ, if we live like he did-much more important than living a non Christ life but singing the prettiest at a church that bares his name
    just by opinion
    i was raised Catholic and went to a church called St Monicas
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:05 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• What do you mean "if the church doesn't bare his name"? I'm not sure what you mean, sorry.

.Lovemybabies.

Answer by .Lovemybabies. at 11:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• are you asking if the actual name "Christ'' should be in the name of the church building? i'm lost. i thought the church was the body of believers, not the building.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I mean St. John, St. Peter, Calvary Temple, First Baptist, Grace....Church. These are made up names-shouldn't we it be his name on his church.
    cutemommie2

Comment by cutemommie2 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• So you think we should all go to "Christ's Church?" I don't think the name is as important to God as what we're teaching and learning and doing within and without the four walls.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, I don't think it matters.

.Lovemybabies.

Answer by .Lovemybabies. at 11:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• So you don't think Christ's name is important, but how do you know its not important. I gave scriptures earlier, can anyone provide me with scripture that says that God doesn't care? Can someone explain acts 4:11-12 because I think this is important especially if we are baptized in his name.
    cutemommie2

Comment by cutemommie2 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Oh, jease louise.

Is this another anti-Catholic post?

Or a "my denomination is better that your denomination" post?

Fine OP, EVERYONE should believe and worship just like you. And everyone who doesn't worship YOUR god YOUR way is going to hell.

/yawn/
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• @ MamaK88 - I thought the purpose of asking questions and having discussions was to discuss. If you dont want to answer don't respond. That is why I said Christians!
    cutemommie2

Comment by cutemommie2 (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think that God is more concerned with what is on the inside than what is on the outisde-you can say St Paul's Church of Christ and not be a church that upholds God's word. Or you could be the Harvest Church and be a church that lives God's word totally and completely with no discriminations, filled with God's love and outpouring to the community. I myself am inclined to believe that God doesn't really care about the name as long as your heart is in the right place. When you quote scripture you have to remember the age and the context in which they were written. I do not take the scriptures that you quoted as literally as you do, the way that I am interpreting it is that God doesn't want us to hide that we are worshiping Christ. I may be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time but that is how I understand it.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 11:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010