I'm OK. But, I am a good candidate for a stroke. What if??

If I am a very good candidate for a stroke (and I have a family history of strokes), if something impairs my thinking and I don't want to let go of a productive life (I'm still young), how can I get prepared for this? I still have the will to live and be a contributor to my community through work and otherwise.

How do I get prepared? How would I deal?

Thanks

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 11:02 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Health

• See an attorney, make a will, not just because of your history of strokes in the family, but because you could also get hit by a truck, etc. All 6 of my father's sisters died at an early age, so I made a will early on, and had it changed as my circumstances changed. I've been lucky, I'm now 63, still in good health. Make sure you know the signs of a stroke, and that your family and friends know as well. We were at a party, and a man started acting like he was drunk, not speaking clearly, couldn't walk straight. I asked him a couple of questions, then to stick out his tongue, it went to one side, and he couldn't speak clearly. The other people thought I was crazy when I said I thought he was having a stroke and called 911. He did have a stroke, and was able to recover. Eat right, exercise, tell your doctor your history. You hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010