anyone else dumpster dive, trash day trolling, or pick up free-bies

on way back from errands a few minutes ago today
found a Big Wheel!!
guy who owned house outside, so i was able to ask if it was for trash
it was obviuos but nice to ask and thank someone
always just pick up the obvious trash item otherwise

also got a Step 2 , snap together outdoor playhouse cube thing the other week, these sell used on craigslist for 50 bucks

rich people throw out some good stuff

anyone else do this, or am i the only one?? if yes, tell us your good finds, if no-why not

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 11:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We don't call it dumpster diving,we call it junking,I like to call it bargain shopping.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My niece was throwing out Guess winter jacket, brand new cashmere sweaters and also bags with tags on them. My nephew was throwing out jeans with tags so my husband sold them and made over 300 dollars.We went half each from the sale. It was also a stereo, lamps and a microwave but wow people love guy's stuff for college!!!
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I've never dumpster dove before, but I will say I have picked up some things out of peoples trash. I've gotten lots of really nice furnature. I have 2 chest of drawers that were on the side of the road. They are real wood, which you know a normal person can't afford unless they save for 2-3 years, and even then things happen, needing tires on the car, meds, things just happen. 95% of my things are from freecycle.org or they were hand me downs, it's awful, but this world is just to expensive.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 11:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Times r hard!! We do what we have to. I found a very nice,like new china cabinet or curio. Two nice wood block side tables,a like new recliner!! Also a very,very, good condition couch!!! No nicks or scratches on any of this stuff,nothing wrong with it at all!!! I don't care if anyone sees me or what they think,I do what I need to do.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, but I do freecycle whenever possible!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:25 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• ** I have yet to actually get into the trash dumpster**
    but it does have a catchy ring to the title...dumpster dive...it rolls off the tongue...and creates a very interesting visual
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I do!!! Well not dumpster dive, I'm too much of a clean freak lol. However I did get a tv, some books, and a georger foreman grill when a neighbor was about to throw them out. They were in good shape, the tv just had a small crack and the grill was missing the grease drip pan...yeah, I can definitely deal with that lol. I'm also an avid thrift store shopper & I stay on the sales racks in stores lol
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 11:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I love to go dumpster diving. We have found some really neat stuff and even some very expensive things. My son was dumpster diving one day and I was sitting out side and he came out of that dumpster like it was on fire or something. I said what the hell happened! He was white as a ghost and his heart was pounding. He said mom I just found someones ashes in a bag of jewery. TRUE STORY!!! LMAO
    SheriesMom

Answer by SheriesMom at 12:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010