4 year old problems....

I have an almost 4 year old that never listens to me. He says no to everything I say and doesn't listen when I'm trying to set rules he just does what he wants so I yell at him a lot. He would later apologize for sassing me but how can I get him to listen to what I'm saying. He thinks he knows everything which I hope he's not getting from his dad because he's the same way.

aidansmom111804

Asked by aidansmom111804 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Take each situation one at a time and be consistent, dont sweat the small things and yelling will get you nowhere. I have a 3 and 5 year old and know exactly what you are going through. Its hard to keep my cool sometimes and not throw a tantrum myself. But, the more I work with them the better they get. Just remember that they are children and not perfect.
    e27jackel

Answer by e27jackel at 9:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I can only say what we do here....if I tell them to do something and it is refused, they are given one more chance, then they are sent to time out. (in general) (if, however, they are ASKED to do something, they do have the right to say no)

If I tell them to pick up the toys, they are to do it...if they refuse or play around, I get out the garbage bags. (I've only had to actually bag the toys up and take them to the garage once...now the threat is enough to get them moving)

Choices and consequences are discussed a lot...and they're pretty much to the point where I can get them to stop and think about their choice. (well, the 4 year old I CAN...the almost 3 year old takes a little more patience but he's getting there)

My kids are 4, almost 3 and almost 2...my almost 2 year old is the only one giving me a problem right now.

Oh...and the older two are on the autism spectrum.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:28 PM on Nov. 4, 2008