What is the point in praying?

Bad things happen to everyone. So do good things. So what does prayer really accomplish? Isn't it all just random?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally don't see a point in praying.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• People who do pray don't believe it is random.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Things do happen to the good and bad. I pray everyday for all the good I have in my live.

I believe in "What goes around comes around" so be nice and don't break the law :)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Don't you talk to your parents or friends or spouse/SO when good things and bad things happen or you are concerned about something? It's talking to your Heavenly Father about these same things.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I assume you are asking this as a Christian. If so, I believe that praying helps you to have a closer relationship with God. How do you build a closer relationship without communication? I also like to give thanks to God for the blessings he gives me. When you do something nice for someone and they don't thank you, how does that make you feel?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Prayer is just a time to keep the line of communication open between you and your Higher Power. It's got nothing to do with good or bad things happening, it's just a way to stay connected.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Prayer is my time to talk to God. Although he knows everything in my heart and mind already, it's a conversation that we're having. When I read the Bible, that's his side of the conversation. When something good happens to me, prayer is my thanks to God and when something not so good happens, it's my little cry of pain or sadness to him. It's my communication with God that draws me closer to him and strengthens my faith. If you're not a Christian, I don't think you can truly understand it.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I find it sad you dont see the point in praying. I have seen prayer really bring about changes in situations and peoples lives. I love being able to give the gift of praying for others and I love talking to God.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:36 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I believe praying is for the person praying. It is like a security blanket for those people.It makes them feel like they are atcually doing something good. And who is to say it doent do anything. I had a mother who was givin" 6 months to live. Because she believed in God and prayed she lived for two and a half years before she passed.I guess it cant hurt.
    Stevensmom707

Answer by Stevensmom707 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The point is to keep open connection with our Father. Prayer is intended to help us to
    bring our wills into accordance with His. Prayer isn't like rubbing a magic lamp, it is another gift
    God has given to draw us near to Him, no matter what happens.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 11:40 AM on Nov. 17, 2010