Are there any moms in here that celebrate Christmas for it's TRUE meaning?

And not JUST the idea that we can get and give gifts. I know a lot of ppl who only care about the gifts, BUT it is actually a Christian holiday. Gifts are nice and all but do you celebrate Christmas in other ways besides the presents?

misskrissie

Asked by misskrissie at 11:16 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Holidays

• Of course we do. We go to church on Christmas Eve and worship just as we do each week although it's always so much more special that night. And we do Advent readings at home (most) evenings up to Christmas. And my decorations clearly reflect the true meaning of Christmas and my children have all been taught that that is what we're celebrating - the birth of Christ - not just the opportunity to get more stuff.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:18 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It is only a Christian holiday because Christians co-opted a Pagan celebration at the same time of year.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes, of course. That is the main focus of the holiday for me. Now, my kids are under 3, so they probably just want the presents. lol, but I have so many great memories from Christmas. One of my favorite memories is the candle lighting/Christmas Carol Night we had at church every year. I felt such a strong presence of the Holy Spirit there every year.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It's also a national holiday. Some scriptures say that Jesus wasn't even born in December. I go to church on Christmas Eve.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes my family does. My kids know its a celebration of our saviors birth, we go to church. I even make sure the christmas cards I send have something to do with the celbration of Jesus birth.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Many ways......midnight mass to celebrate the birth of the Christ-child....singing songs....decorating.....getting together with family....I love Christmas and all that comes with it.....I rarely give gifts (just my husband and kids)....but love telling everyone Merry Christmas...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Hrm..nope. But when my Son is a little older, my Husband and I will explain what Christmas is all about and why We don't celebrate that part of it. We believe in and and don't believe in organized religion, but We'll let Our Son choose what He believes and follows.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Whoops! That was supposed to say We believe in God. My bad!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010