How often....

So i have a 3 week old and everything I have read says that he should be having several bms a day. My son doesn't. He has one every day.....is that ok? Is this normal?

ErinT

Asked by ErinT at 11:24 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you feeding formula or breast milk?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:25 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• mainly breast milk but I do supplement with formula
    ErinT

Comment by ErinT (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Is he breast fed? If so mine always went after every feeding. Formula fed babies go less often. Maybe you should give the dr a call.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• my dd, with bm or formula, has always been a once a dayer too : ) according to my pedi....baby poop consistency and frequency is often just specific to that baby and rarely something to worry about...
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Well, many BF babies can go up to 7 days with one poop. FF babies go a little more.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My son did the same thing...once a day....I wouldnt worry about it...If he dosnt have a bm for a day or 2 then I would take him in but other then that he is fine...that is just how he is working at the moment.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My baby was having a bm atleast 2 or 3 times a day for the first week. then about the second week he started slowing down a little. By the third week he was only having one a day, and we would go through bouts of constipation. My doctor said as long as he is going once every other day there is no need for concern, unless he is in pain. If your baby is constipated I have found that if you dilute his formula just a little it will help loosen things up. If you are breastfeeding, some babies may not have a BM for 2 or 3 days. I hope this helps. I am a new mom too, my son is only 6 weeks. Congrats on your little one!!
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:31 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My EBF baby pooped about 5-8 times a day at 3 weeks. I would wonder if the formula is causing constipation.

You baby is so new. I'm sure that putting the baby on the breast on demand can help your supply and reduce or eliminate the need to supplement with formula. I would try EBF for 3 days.

There is a very supportive breast feeding moms group here. Check it out!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It may be normal for him. A lot of kids have their own norms and don't fit into the "chart".
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• As long as your LO isn't constipated, meaning having hard, dry stools, then it's nothing to worry about.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010