What do you think about getting married at the courthouse before the end of the year and having the actual wedding next summer?

I am getting married next June. I went on the tax calculator and it says we'll get back twice as much filing jointly than separate. This money could pay for our wedding! So we are thinking about doing this and not considering ourselves married until the wedding day. What do you think?

Asked yesterday....hoping for more opinions. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• If it were me I would just wait. I wouldnt want to have my first marriage at the court house.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Getting legally married now then having a ceremony in June just seems to me like you want a huge party to get presents. Either get married now or in June, not both. And I have no problem with courthouse weddings, it's my plan if I ever stop hating weddings and marriage.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My SIL did this earlier this year. Her wedding will be this summer. Maybe laws vary by state, but she and her husband didn't even have to take any vows. They just signed, all of their vows will be done at the wedding. I say do what works for you. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think you guys should wait until the actual wedding date or at least have a small private celebration!
    Momgul

Answer by Momgul at 11:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Not something I would do, but if it works for you guys go ahead.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• According to Uncle Sam...you have to be married by June 1...so six months of the year you filed you already have to be married . Better look a bit further before doing anything hasty, GL.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We got married during the summer and never gave our taxes a second thought. Get married when you want to, not when you think it's more convienant.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• We got married on what would have been my grandfathers birthday! It was super emotional...but were having a ceremony next year! To each is own! No one has to know that you got married already! Thats YOUR business!!! So do what you want now, and have your wedding when you want it! IMO its all up to you. However, I would definitely read into tax laws about when your marriage date has to occur like if there was a deadline in the year!?
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2010