What do you think about getting married at the courthouse before the end of the year and having the actual wedding next summer? PIOG

I am getting married next June. I went on the tax calculator and it says we'll get back twice as much filing jointly than separate. This money could pay for our wedding! So we are thinking about doing this and not considering ourselves married until the wedding day. What do you think?

Posted yesterday....hoping for more opinions. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• I'm absolutely for it my fiance and I are considering the sme thing for insurance reasons. We are getting married next October.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 11:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You can file jointly now, even without being married. But it's great either way. My husband and I filed jointly for 6 years before we was married.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 11:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Also to bellsandheels, you can even be on your mates insurance prior to marriage. talk to HR
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 11:55 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't like it. Either get married when you say you will or do it at the court house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would skip the courthouse and save your special day for the actual wedding in June. Congrats!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would do the courthouse for sure, sounds like a good plan.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The problem with that is we were planning to use our tax returns to pay for the wedding, but now Df is gonna need to fix his car with it. So without the extra tax money we might not be able to afford the wedding anyways. And I really want a nice wedding to look back on.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Do what works for you, your wedding is all about you if it makes more sense to you to do it than-go for it!!
    If its that big a deal to others don't tell them until real wedding
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 12:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You do what is right for you and DF and it seems you already have it planned out quite well and financially figured out! Congrates and good luck!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2010