do you have to have a lot of money to adopt?

when you decide to adopt do you have to be upper class or can you be average like middle class? how do you pay? as in do you pay upfront for services and stuff like that? Have you adopted? would you do it domestically or internationally? why?

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 12:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Adoption

• My aunt and uncle adopted and they werent by any means wealthy or even upper middle class. They went through catholic social services or something like that and a birth mom picked them. The child was born with special needs. I think it gets pricey if you adopt overseas.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It depends a lot on what kind of adoption you want to do, especially domestic vs. international, but also if you want a baby or a "waiting child." Google adoption and your state and you should be able to find a state adoption site that can help you. For international adoptions, there are a lot of different agencies, and you may have to do more leg work to understand all the ins and outs. Good luck to you.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It costs little to nothing to adopt from your state's foster care system. You may or may not get an infant. My husband and I live in Florida and our first placement was a 4 week old baby girl, who we are now in the process of adopting. This is not the average case, but it can happen. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    ktm786

Answer by ktm786 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• ktm is correct...if you adopt from foster care it is free....many agencies will offer a payment plan as well...also if you make less than $200k/year the govt will give u $13500 back if you have soent over that...
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Adopting through foster care costs very little.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If you want a healthy white newborn then yes you will pay a lot. If you dont have a lot of money & want to adopt you can either raise money or use foster care.
    Anonymous

• Many of my friends adopted a healthy newborn....so did we. I still have my arms and my legs. We are not upper middle class. Not rich. So the rumors continue about how it is impossible. My good friend now is the proud parent of a 12 week old little guy. And she's by far not rich.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• nope i dont so thats why i have my own
    teen_mom31

Answer by teen_mom31 at 1:28 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

Please explain to me what exactly that comment has to do with adopting a child? The OP asked if you have to have a lot of money to adopt- not have biological children...oh, and way to be supportive and insensitive! Kudos to you!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I do have my own child. He's pretty real. At least last time I checked. The own thing gets old. On the other hand - I have never wanted to have a biological child. Not for a second. But I don't go around telling pregnant mothers that. But people feel the absolute need to tell me that they never could adopt. So? So what? Good for you. You have a limitation and you notice it. But to then describe facts that are not facts....adoption is only for the rich, baby stealers - even through foster care, god meant for some not tonhave kids, it's not moral or ethical, I could never take someone else's child...ect. The long list is stale. All I can say is they don't have the facts and I sure didn't share my information. But I smile, I'm polite, and tell them I only had to give my right leg. I point and tap and say the church raised funds for my new mechanical leg. Lookks real huh?
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2010