My Brother is throwing his GF a baby shower for 2nd kid..

Okay, my brother got with his GF when she was already pregnant.. He now takes care of the little boy who is 6 months (not his child though).. His GF found out when the boy was 2 months that she is pregnant by my brother now.. Theyre having a little girl due in January.. My brother just created an event on facebook for a baby shower that he decided to throw for his GF. One person who was invited was like "Do we have to bring gifts" and my brother says "No, but youre a dick if you dont ;-)" and then my brother IM's me like, Man I hope people know to bring gifts, and I told him not everyone has money for the gifts esp. on such short notice.. But to my question, do you think it is tacky of him to throw himself and his GF a baby shower? & They did have a baby shower for the boy as well that her Mother threw..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• What is tacky about it is his comment about whether or not people bring anything. But I don't think the fact that they are having a shower is all that tacky. She may have another child but this is HIS first child. So thats understandable. He went a bit overboard by his comment though lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would ask when he was going to marry her and tell him he would get a gift then.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, i don't think it's tacky at all. I think it's tacky of anyone to judge them about it. There is no book of baby shower laws. He is excited, this is his first bio child...he wants to celebrate & make this special for the both of them. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I would have uninvited the friend who commented on the gifts. That was just RUDE!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It is tacky and he sounds ungrateful I would go and take diapers.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It is a bit tacky, but I think he's just excited about having the baby that is "his". Hopefully he wants to celebrate and is not just in it for the gifts.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I dont think its tacky! I think its awesome! Its his little boy and anything helps.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think that he sounds excited. He has never had a child and how is it any different than if a friend threw the shower. I admit that his response to the gift question was alittle tacky, but what was more tacky , was to ask if you have to bring a gift to a baby shower. DUH...
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i dont see any thing wrong with throwing your own shower....but expecting people to come just so you can get presents is just rude and childish.
    I am letting my Mom throw me a baby shower (really cause I just want an excuse to have Nana make a cake YUMMMMM) with the one rule that she put on the invites "NO GIFTS". I know that most everyone will get something anyway ('cause my family is very excited about our lil man) but they won't feel like they need to spend a bunch of money. Also, my younger friends won't feel obligated to buy anything at all ('cause we've all been young and broke).
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 12:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Where I live, it's considered tacky for a relative to throw a baby shower, it's done by a friend, otherwise it sounds like just asking for gifts. I've never heard of a baby shower being thrown by a husband, much less a significant other. It is ok, however to have an open house to welcome the baby after it is born. Some people might bring gifts, but it's not an obligation. A shower is to shower th mom with gifts.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes, it's tacky. Neither one of the parents to be should be throwing a shower, it's in very bad taste. I understand that it is "his" first baby, but the point of a shower is to help the parents out with all the things they will need for the baby. They should have everything they need, except diapers and maybe a few new outfits.

Answer by missanc at 12:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010