would like help?

i am trying to see if there is anyway to make a kid who is 2yrs old feel ok when mom leaves and the nanny comes

kornfan87

Asked by kornfan87 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its just sepration anxiety. its a phase. i know its hard but it will get better. how long have you had the nanny? there is no real easy solution. what i would do is have her take the child in a different room or distract him or what not and then you can sneak out. that is what i do when my little one is staying with someone new. its hard but sneaking out with out being seen is the easiest way.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Time and reassurance will do this.

Answer by older at 12:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i am the nanny i have been there for 2months
    kornfan87

Comment by kornfan87 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think the key is to make your goodbye short and sweet- the longer it drags out the more time the child has to get worked up. Keep your tone light and cheerful because kids watch for your cues. A simple, "Give mommy a hug and kiss because I am going out, I will be home to you again soon. I love you" and off you go. I know that isn't always easy to do but you have to try to control the situation. And ask the nanny how he is ten minute after you are gone- most kids are fine as soon as the goodbyes end and you leave, then they get wrapped up in playing and having fun again.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If you can, start with the nanny just visiting. Let them get to know each other a little before they are alone together. Then, don't make a big deal out of leaving. Just say goodbye or sneak out, whichever gets you out quicker. It is heartwrenching to hear them cry, but it does get better. Don't keep going back to console him, just go. In time, it will get easier on both of you.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• he cry for the frist two times then stop but now is doing it again
    kornfan87

Comment by kornfan87 (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Sorry, I just saw that you are the nanny. In that case try to encourage mom to get out the door quickly as I stated above and if the child pouts after she is gone let him have his moment. Maybe you start playing with a game or toy he loves to get him interested in what you are doing, or tell him you need him to show you how something works, or be silly with something. Like try to drive a toy car upside down and act confused when the wheels won't turn or try to sit on the couch but you keep "accidentally" falling off, etc.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• When my mom watch my 2 year old goodbye was short and sweet but then seperation anxiety hit us both. after 15mins i called and everything was getting settled down because it was bedtime. This time around with my 11mo we will have our new sitter come over for an hour or two everyday for about a week while i'm home so my youngest 2 can get used to her being around and i will sneak off for a good 20-30 mins at a time to see how things go, and if she can handle it. It's also good to have back up goodies for your nanny or sitter to give them each time they are good
    MakG

Answer by MakG at 1:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• ok thanks for the help it just hurts when he cry he has a sis but she does cry.it just makes me feel bad like i am bad person.
    kornfan87

Comment by kornfan87 (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My now 16 year old would chase me out of his 1 hour play group. I finally just sat in the hall. Now I chase him so we can talk. It goes to dang fast!!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010