My best friend lost her mom, what can I do?

I have been busy with my own issues and family and I know I haven't been there for my best friend who lost her mom in August. My problems seem minute compared to what she's dealing with. But I don't even know how to be there for her when she lives on the other side of town and I can't always make that drive. Has anybody been in my position? What did you do?

mz_erica03

Asked by mz_erica03 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Just be around for when she needs you...call every few days to see how she is....does she have kids? maybe offer to take them overnight! That kind of grief is hard especially when trying to shelter the little ones! send flowers or small note on the month anniversary days...when it first happens so many people are around and they eventually get back to their own lives...nice to know that someone besides her remembers its been like ... 10 mo or whatever! When my dad died a friend sent me a poem "FOOTPRINTS" that was helpful and probably the time that reading that made the MOST sense to me! But just let her know that you are there!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 8:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Phone contact and reassuring her you are always there if she needs to vent.

Answer by older at 12:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You must make time to see her even if she's far....call her everyday and ask her specifically how she is doing with the situation and let her know how much you love her and wish you were closer and able to
    Spend more time with her
    meagan517

Answer by meagan517 at 12:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Phone her, but don't bring up her mom unless she does, then listen.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 1:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i would just talk to her and have that open connection. my husband is in the army and we bury one of his best friends tomorrow. death is scary. can't change it or prevent it, but we can still be there for those who are suffering. i think that her just knowing that you are there and that you care will mean a lot. that she lost somebody but still has you there to be with .
    sgt.youngs.wife

Answer by sgt.youngs.wife at 1:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• When my mom died all I wanted is people to sit wíth me and not talk about it. It was just nice when I had someone near.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Call her up and talk to her. I had a brother who committed suicide and every one abandoned me. So call or go over and bring a cup of coffee or tea. Being there for a friend is easy. Just make an effort.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010