If there is no father listed on your LO's broth certificate then does the father have any rights to the LO??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 1:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, because there is no proof he is the father. Any Tom Dick or Harry could come off the street to say they are the father. Parenting needs to be establish before any court with grant rights to a man that isn't even on the birth certificate.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Regardless of if the father is listed on the birth certificate, in most states if you are married at the time you give birth your husband is legally the father and has all rights - if you are not married, paternity has to be established before parental rights can be granted.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 1:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• an attorney just told me the other day that since my LO's father is not on the birth cert and there has been no paternity test or support/custody suits then he has no rights at all...i live in Indiana...your state may be different but thats probably pretty standard
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• not sure, but I would like to know too because there is no father on my nephews birth certificate he hasn't been involved what so ever he is 2 years old.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't think they would have any right. I'd also seek an attorney's advice on this though because the dad could be a real butt.
    b_stotka

Answer by b_stotka at 2:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010