Im sorry mommy! How do I handle this situation?

My two year old daughter can be down right rotten at times. But she knows enough to "say im sorry mommy" My concern is that she really isn't sorry and she's being manipulative. She does it all the time. Tonight I told her I didn't accept her apology and she can't always apologize and make things ok. I feel like a jerk, how should I handle this situation?

aishadavid

Asked by aishadavid at 9:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• SHES 2.....AND UR HOW OLD!? MY SON GETS 2 ME SOMETIMES......BUT IVE GOTTA REALIZE HES 2...IM 28! UR THE BOSS...THEY RNT! JUST GOTTA SHOW THEM WHOS THE BOSS.....AND STILL B NICE! GOTTA REM...WHAT U SAY AND DO NOW...MAKES WHO THEY R LATER ON IN LIFE! IM DEF NOT PERFECT...BUT I SURE TRY 2 B! delete your answer

Anonymous

• you can lay out the consequences for her behavior, ie take her toy away. if she apologizes, accept her apology and forgive her, but let her know she's still not getting the toy back. Also, I always required mine to apologize anyway. this was not to get out of punishment, but to keep them mindful that it's THEIR behavior that gets them in trouble, and they are responsible for fixing what they mess up, including my feelings.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Why would I delete my answer or question? I know who's in charge Im trying to get advice from other mother as to how they should handle the situation. If she's truly sorry for her actions, I don't want her to feel bad, and if she isn't she need to know that what she did and saying sorry doesn't correct the problem.

aishadavid

Answer by aishadavid at 9:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• No its a good Q. My DD does that too, but i think she means it. Yea she is a 2year old and thats why when shes sorry I believe her, she may forget what she can and cannot do and therefore when scolded she pops out im sorry mama. Its a good thing shes practicing, and she prob. hears you say and thinks thats what your supposed to say when in trouble or scolded. Its so sweet and they are learning what feeling and emotions are so I dont think they may truly know what sorry means, but they understand it in a way. I wouldnt tell her you dont accept it but maybe try and explain what sorrys mean to her. And what they mean to you. To a 2 year old sorry does make it okay, doesnt mean though thaty they dont get fair discipline if it was somthing outrageous, but if its not let it be. She probably really is sorry. dont be upset with her.
    Anonymous

• I believe you can be firm, but she is still so young, you have to temper it with plenty of loving as well. teri4lance has the right idea. I would just end it with a hug. She'll get the message that she's done wrong, but being so young, she'll need that affirmation that mommy still loves me.

hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 10:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• no i did that by accident! my fiance told me not 2 advertise who i was.....for fear of u coming after me...lol...so i copied and pasted it...that part as well! sorry! dont get huffy w me please!
    Anonymous

• at least she apoligizes...most people 2day doesnt! forgive and 4get!
    Anonymous

• Im not huffy with you, I really appreciate all the advice Im getting, so far no-one has bashed me lol! i just want to make sure im handling it the right way, I don't want to scar my child. But thank you for your advice. I value you everyone's opinions

aishadavid

Answer by aishadavid at 10:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• She's 2.... I don't think she can completely grasp the concept of what "I'm sorry" means. But she will soon enough, so I'd encourage her. But I think it's good that you are teaching her that it doesn't erase what she has done. I think you're on the right track, but don't be too hard on her.... she's still only 2.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• So far, "I'm sorry" has been a get-out-of-jail-free card for her. She doesn't understand what it means but she knows if she says it, she doesn't get punished. Instead, punish her as you normally would no matter what she says.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2008