How do I get the musty odor from towels?

I did a long hard, hot wash and even then when I went to put them in the dryer ( right away!) They STILL had that Funky smell. I am washing again now in Baking soda and have added white vinager to the rinse. Hope that works!

chefjen

Asked by chefjen at 1:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Chefjen - we get that hear sometimes too, but it seems to go away after a few more washes. i think it could be the water, not the towels. I think the water has a higher concentration of some mold or something at a certain time of year and it stinks. It always seem to be the towels because we get them wet alot. I think the clothes would do it too if we made a habit of getting them wet.

The sun really will help alot. Maybe you will get a bit tomorrow.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 9:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Put them out in the sun to dry.

Answer by older at 1:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Coud be a little mildew, moldy bacteria,etc. so I would put a little bleach in the water ,then make sure they are totrally dry. When towels stay damp for 24 hours or more,lying in a pile on the bathroom floor, for example,the bacteria grows and mold forms ---that is the funky smell. Bleach kills that stuff. Not too much--maybe a 1/4 of a cup?A few tablespoons?
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No sun now in Michigan- The towels are colored.- Can't use chlorine bleach.
    chefjen

Comment by chefjen (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The vinegar and baking soda should help a lot. Place them in the sun to dry and let them stay outside for a few hours. That will help tremendously.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Use tide with bleach for colors
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Use fabric softener and dryer sheets
    mommyg24

• Great question, I have the same problem. lol. I have to try the vinegar and baking soda. Thanks
    bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• frustratedwell- I did all of the above and washed them 3 times in a row- they STILL stink

chefjen

Comment by chefjen (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Use Vinegar! Seriously it does a lot of wonders!! use it with your detergent!
    staceybelly9

Answer by staceybelly9 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010