What is the next step after a nursing home for someone who is too beligerent and assaults the Nursing Home Staff?

My MIL is currently in the hospital after biting and assaulting her Social Worker. She is 65 Bipolar and Schizophrenic and has Dementia. Even now at the hospital her behavior is so beligerent that she requires restraints. Short of medicating her to the point that she is so druged up she can't be beligerent, I don't know what they will do with her. Any thoughts or experience with this type of thing.

sarasquiverfull

Asked by sarasquiverfull at 1:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Health

• Medication is usually the option that is used, since in most cases physical restraints are considered torturing the patient. My mom was similar, but they did finally get her meds straightened out, and she is no longer combative, and is more "normal". She was first sent to a pshchiatric hospital, where she was at first heavily drugged, then lessened, and she received counseling. Then she got much better, in about 6 months, and went back to nursing home, and has been fine for the last 5 years. This is very hard to go through, I hope you have good results.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• There are nursing home that specialize in Psychiatric patients . My great grand mother has many of the conditions your MIL has and we found a home that took her and she was able to maintian there. They had more one on one nurses who were trained to deal with her needs and out burst . I am surprised that she has a Social worker and she has not help you all find one of these homes. Good Luck.

karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 2:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• A locked ward probably. Nursing homes have them for patients with dementia.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Perhaps the questions posted at this forum can give you addition help.  Caregivers Forum for Alz 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 17, 2010