I'm pumping my milk for my 2 wk old I have a question???

I was breastfeeding him and he was jaundice and I was told to supplement with formula when I brought him home and I did but as of last wk he won't latch on like he used to. I got those bottles that you can alternate from breast to bottle and he gets frustrated and mad when I try to put him on my breast so I have been pumping and here this past week it seems like he isn't getting enough to eat he has been eating about 3 ounces and then starving again within an 1 and half to two hours. Is that natural for him to want to eat so much my daughter was formula fed and she didn't do what he is doing. Am I doing something wrong. My hubby argued with me and said that I need to give him some formula maybe that would make him full and not in such a feeding frenzy. I didn't want to cause I want him on breast milk now that he isn't jaundice but I did anyway to shut him up and he spit formula all over me. Am I doing something wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I totally understand what you are going through! I wanted to breastfeed my son so badly but he got a bottle in the hospital a few times, and when I got him home he would not latch on. I ended up pumping all the time for him, which worked out because he was still getting the benefits of breastfeeding even though he wouldn't latch. I noticed that while he was eating exclusively breast milk, he wanted to eat every 2 hours - if it went beyond 2 hours, he would be in a feeding frenzy, just like you described. I started supplementing him with formula once he wanted to eat more, and that would hold him for 3 hours or so. Once he went to formula completely, he would only eat ever 3.5 - 4 hours. You are not doing anything wrong - its totally normal for breastfed babies to want to eat every 2 hours. You are doing a great thing by pumping for him, because I know how hard it can be. Follow your instincts and it will all work out!
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 1:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You are not doing anything wrong. He's probably going through a growth spurt and getting hungry more often. When the growth spurt is over, and in general as he gets older, he will eat less often. 3 hours is about average for a breastfed infant to go between feedings, whether from breast or bottle. As for him not wanting to latch, it's probably nipple confusion, which sometimes happens when you try to switch between bottle and breast no matter what bottles you use. You can either take the bottle away and keep trying to get your son to latch, or you can keep pumping and give bottles. You can even try to keep going with both if you want, just remember, it doesn't matter that your breastmilk is coming in a bottle, he's still getting it and it still has all the same benefits.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• And one more thing, you can also try nipple shields to get him to nurse directly from you, they are a soft silicone shield that will feel like the bottle that he's gotten used to and since it is the more familiar feeling it might just work.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• That is so true - I have heard a lot of people using nipple shields with a lot of success. I think you can buy them at Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, etc.
    tarakenyon06

Answer by tarakenyon06 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He has nipple confusion. Theres no such thing as a bottle that will prevent it.

To beat the nipple confusion you need to get rid of the bottles. He will get mad and frustrated, but eventually he will eat. And then he can control the amount of milk you make. It sounds like right now he's in a growth spurt, but because there's a pump between the demand and the supply it's not naturally increasing. He will still have feeding frenzies at the breast... but they will be productive and increase your supply.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I wanted to add that exclusive pumping has many pitfalls, so getting him back on the breast is really the best case scenario. Not only is it a LOT of work, it's really hard to maintain. Most moms can't make it the full first year, so they end up weaning early. And while bottled human milk is definitely preferable to formula, fresh from the tap is the absolute best and offers the maximum amount of benefits.

I wouldn't use a nipple shield unless it was the absolute last resort... "not going to latch anyway, so may as well try it" sort of thing. It can cause milk transfer/weight gain issues... be as hard to break as nipple confusion and it's terribly inconvenient!

Head over to breastfeeding moms to get tips on beating nipple confusion!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think that sometimes formula is just more filling for babies. *I'm NOT saying you should supplement!* If you are comfortable with pumping and bottle feeding then that's what you need to do. As long as your son is eating and growing thats all that matters. I understand how hard that can be. DD refused to latch on *inverted nipple* so I pumped and breastfed for about 7 weeks. It takes A LOT of time and dedication. If you really want to breast feed I would talk to a lactation consulant. If you go to WIC you can ask to speak to one there, or get ahold of your local LLL. Good luck!
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If you want to continue to breastfeed, ditch all bottles and find yourself a lactation consultant or contact your local La Leche League.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010