My baby is 10 days old and all of a sudden his right I keeps draining..........

My baby's eye keeps draining. He doesn't have pink eye it's just like a yellow sticky gunk that appears while he is sleeping and when he wakes up it's dry and sticky and is crusty all over his eye lid and it's just the right eye. Is it natural for him to do that??? My daughter didn't do that or at least I don't remember her eyes doing that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a clogged tear duct. Very common in newborns. Wipe with a wet, warm washcloth.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Sounds like a clogged tear duct. Use a warm washcloth to wipe from the outside corner of his lower lid to the inside corner. Do it several times a day. That should help clear it up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• my doc also said take a warm cloth and just put in in the corner of her eye and dap with a little pressure... It will go away in a couple days :)
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 1:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Some women swear by putting a drop of breastmilk in each of their eyes several times a day

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• it might be a cloged tear duct. Both my girls got that when they came home from the hospital. My first I just use a warm wash cloth a couple time a day until it was gone which took a couple weeks. But my youngest it wouldn't go away her eyes were always drainaing when I realized it wasn't working when I used a warm cloth then I took her to the doctor who gave me eye drops and it dtill didn't work so at 8 months old she had to have surgery on her eye to open up her clogged tear duct.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Also it might not clear up for a long time. My middle son had it forever... okay only about 7 months... but it seemed like forever. Finally the doc gave us an eye ointment and it cleared up. If it goes on longer then a year they can do what our pediatrician calls a "rotorooter" type of procedure to clean out the tear duct. My husband had it when he was a baby.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Really... my response deserved a vote down... LMAO!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I put fresh breastmilk on a cotton ball and wiped my dd's eyes. It cleared.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 1:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• you can massage the tear duct. just use gentle pressure and rub your finger clockwise on the corner of the eye.
    you may want to google it. i have never heard of anyone that did the massage having to go to the dr. for ointment, medication or surgery. this happened with 3 of my kids. i did clean their eyes with breastmilk instead of warm water.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I understand alot of women say could be a clogged teardrop and yes it could be , but i feel like it never hurts to ask the doc.
    sara_bru2000

Answer by sara_bru2000 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010