Hypothetical: what would you do if the only way you got to see your grandkids was by babysitting them?

If you were or are a grandmother and you stated that you never wanted to watch your grandkids ever unless paid, what would you do if the parents made it so that the only way you could see your grandkids was if you watched them? Would you choose to not be a part of their lives or would you give in and watch them? If you would give in, what would you think of a grandmother who chose not to ever see them?

Isaidit

Asked by Isaidit at 1:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• Not a GM but the only way to get my nephew is to pick him up fri till suandy. It sucks sometimes but to me its worth it to see him. His parents are spitful, if I have plans they get feeling and I don't see him for while sometimes but I figure my love out ways their ignorance and I really want to see him
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 1:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think I'd settle on a compromise. I'd watch the child for free only so often - like once a week/ month. I would also think it was pretty sad that grownups are acting like this.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 1:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't ever demans to only watch my grandkids IF paid, that's selfish and ridiculous....and if the parents wouldn't let me see them for my selfish behavior I wouldn't blame them....sounds like grandma only thinks of herself.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i have many years to be a grandmother, but my mil never wants to see them, paid or not. her daughter's daughter is really her only granddaughter in her eyes, atleast that's how i see it. she worships the ground she walks on and shits on my kids. i always tried to include her in family dinners, or take her out as a family and offer to pay, or just come visit for a few hours, or bring them to her house for a few hours, and it was excuse after lame ass f*cking excuse. now if she ever were to say to me "i'll watch them if you pay me" i'd tell her thanks but no thanks, imo grandma's should not be paid to watch their grandkids, unless they're doing it on a daily basis while mom works. how selfish is it to ask for money to watch your grandkids? if that's the case i'll ask her for money to come over and visit them!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, i would be a more humble person & lovingly watch my grandkids without pay & i would spoil the crap out of them :~)
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would do whatever it takes to be with my grandkids.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• What grandmother would charge to take care of her grandchildren? It takes a family to raise a child. I take it that your children do not see you. I would take the grandkids as much as I could.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My mil probably wouldn't wacth my kids even if I paid her. I can' imagine being like that. I cant wait til I have grandkids to spoil.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• "I would also think it was pretty sad that grownups are acting like this. "

Not asking what you think of the parents. That goes without saying...
    Isaidit

Comment by Isaidit (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• As a grandma I'm appalled to think somone would actually say this to or about their own flesh and blood. As a Mom, if a grandmother said that to me...she would never see my kids, ever. My kids, and my grandkids don't need people like that in their lives. I've posted many times about having to adopt my 2 grandkids. Their maternal grandmother has never made any effort to contact them. No card, no call no nothing. At this point, if she tried to come around, the answer would be not a chance in hell.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010