After the kids are in bed and you have the evening to yourself, how do you manage not to munch and eat all sorts of junk?

My dd is in bed, the dishes are done, I tired and somehow I just want to go pffffffft on the couch with a big bowl of ice cream. This is my worst dangerzone ... after-dinner-time. Actually there are tons of things I could do (housekeeping never stops), but the craving is really bad around that time. If you also feel like this, how do you get past it?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I try to consider whether what I am eating is worth having a heart attack later, the pounds it will put on. I am in the process of trying to lose weight, as I am obese, so I really try to consider what I put into my mouth. I make air popped pop corn here and there, or I slice up some fruit and put a little whipped cream on it. I agree with the comments about brushing your teeth, too. I don't like to eat after I brush my teeth.
    Another option is to not keep ice cream in the house. I avoid snacky foods at all costs when I'm at the store, although DH LOVES snacks. SO I try to steer him toward healthier options.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Drink lots of water, eat an apple and go to bed.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Alot of times I just chew on a piece of gum. I think it's just the "being bored" concept sometimes when we feel hungry.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I brush my teeth. I will not eat with freshly brushed teeth. I put the kids in bed, have a simple snack like an apple and then brush immediately after the apple. Then I am am not hungry because I have had a snack and I have nice fresh breath.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Brush my teeth right away. I don't feel like doing it again, so I generally don't eat any more.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i dont :) lol i do try to restrain myself but i have the same problem! ill usually settle for a bowl of cereal.. not as unhealthy as a bowl of icecream or some cookies, but still satisfying enough to fill my craving for something sweet.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• If I eat I have raw veggies with hummus or a slowly nibble on 2 pretzel rods, or a low cal ice cream pop....some way to satisfy my craving without going overboard
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Having an apple right now. not hungry at all, it's just for the sake of chewing. How do \i stop that?
    BeachMom81

Comment by BeachMom81 (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Also, when DH DOES get ice cream, I try to get him a flavor he loves but I don't. Or when he does get something I like, I will give myself a small scoop, and put it on a banana with a few nuts and whipped cream, like a banana split. At least then there are some good nutrients with it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:23 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• I don't usually keep junk in the house, but when I do I brush my teeth A LOT. Same reason I brush my teeth after each meal.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 1:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2010