Hysterectomy... Have you had one?

Per Dr Stanley West over 90% of all hysterectomies done in the U.S. are medically unnecessary, he certainly knows what he's talking about! Dr. West is the Chief of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at St. Vincent's Hospital in New York City.

He gives you all the details and reasons NOT to have a hysterectomy unless you have a malignant cancer. And he discusses hysterectomy side effects in detail.

If you have endometriosis, uterine fibroids, abnormal vaginal bleeding and your doctor is recommending a hysterectomy, make sure you read or order the book by Dr. Stanley West - The Hysterectomy Hoax - before you submit yourself to this surgery. And try to get a second opinion.

Have you had one? Tell me your story?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 1:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Health

• I was a stone's throw away, (IV hooked up and in my arm) ready to be wheeled into an operating room to remove both uterus and ovaries and I chickened out. I felt eerie about it and decided not to do it. I had uterine fibroids and this was the reason for the surgery.
    I went to see a new doc, (found in Top Docs). He told me that I did NOT need a hysterectomy. I am grateful I chickened out!
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• my mom had one back in 2004. she had a tumor that attached itself to her bladder, it was partly her fault for neglecting to go in for annual paps, if she had they might've caught onto it early and removed only the tumor itself. but it was so big that it was too late and all had to be removed. she was 44 years old when she had it done, and i'm her only daughter. she doesn't regret it though, she always had rough periods and would pass golf ball size blood clots during them, her periods also caused her to have horrible migraines, tunnel vision and dizziness. she hasn't had any of those problems since the hysterectomy. the one problem that did arise was last year, some scar tissue built up on the scar and cause an intestinal blockage, she vomited her own fecal matter and nearly died. the blockage was removed and she's okay. no telling if the scar tissue was from the hysterectomy or the c-section she had with me.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had endometriosis, some had adheared to my bladded. I was having frequent urination, heavy bleeding, severe cramps. I was also in early menopause, and I was told by three different doctors, that it was my best option. Other things that could be tried would probably not help the severe pain I was having, and if they did help, it would take a long time, and since I was starting menopause, I didn't need my uturus and ovaries. Boy I wish I had them back. After hysterectomy, I had hormone problems, hair growth on face, big weight gain, and several other minor difficulties that were caused by the hysterectomy, including that the surgeon nicked my bladder, and I now have a smaller bladder, lots of fun!.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Oh Sweet! That really scares me. My pap smears wont stop being abnormal. They have tried everything. LEEPS everything! My last dr has given up on me and is thinking about suggesting hysterectomy or another dr. I just went to another dr who just out and out suggests hysterectomy.

Maybe its just a hormonal imbalance
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 2:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes, I had a complete hysterectomy from endometriosis...before they even discovered it through exploratory surgery I was so anemic from all the bleeding during my periods that I had to be put on medication to build me back up. They also found that I had a huge tumor that was half the size of my fist that also had to be removed (thank goodness it wasn't cancerous). I am glad I had it done-I don't think I could of stood the pain any longer.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 7:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010