How do you feel about illegals

Especially the ones that have committed crimes, were never deported, and then end up killing someone. I do understand that our judicial system has failed, but if your child was killed by a drunk driver, who was an illegal, wouldn't it make the impact of it all worse for you???

kscmbz

Asked by kscmbz at 9:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• If my child was killed by a drunk driver, I'd be devastated (obviously) and enraged (even more obviously) no matter who the driver was. The logic of saying "If they would have been deported, they wouldn't have been in the accident." is about as pointless to say "If they had been driving just 5 mph slower or faster, they wouldn't have been in the accident." if it were a legal citizen. A person was drunk, a child is dead. Citizenship is not an issue in this scenario.

Illegal immigrants are people, just like you and me. If they commit a crime (besides being illegal immigrants of course), that makes that individual dangerous (or at the very least, untrustowrthy), just like anyone else who commits a crime. (cont)
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 10:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• (cont). If someone brings up the issue that they supposedly receive free health care, discount lodging, and don't pay taxes... so do the impoverished citizens in this country, as long as they apply for these programs. They "enjoy" the same benefits (though "enjoy" may not be an appropriate term for it). Honestly, have you ever heard of a wealthy illegal immigrant family in this country?

I don't understand why this is such a big issue right now. I'm more livid about the legal citizens who get rich selling drugs in our communities. What taxes are they paying?
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• And yes I said rights!! LOL I laugh when they do that because I wonder how they think they can get rights when their not even legal! If they want to be here then we should treat them like citizens and have them pay frigin taxes, register/insure the cars, and get their kids vaccinated! Do you think theyd be complaining about rights then??
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If someone commits a crime they should be punished. end of story. It someone is illegal they should take steps to right it. My mom was illegal a good portion of her life but she worked and paid taxes and contriubted to society so saying we are paying for all illegals to be here is not true.
    Anonymous

• Christopher Columbus was an illegal.

Ok, in seriousness, I think we need to create the "legal pathways" we so often talk about. Crime is crime. Anyone who hurts others must take responsibility for their actions and face the consequences, legal or illegal.
    21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 10:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• How about the ones that are here illegally, obtain a driver's license or drive without a license and end up getting into collisions and killing or injuring people? It happens more than you might think. Source: Readers Digest, September 2008, page 33.
    wondermeg

Answer by wondermeg at 10:24 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Here is my response to this: First of all a drunk driver is a drunk driver. If a Hollywood Celebrity was driving drunk and killed a member of your family, would you feel just as bad as if it was an illegal? I would hope so. Also, have you ever seen a Mexican work? OMG, if we could transport all our US citizens living on welfare down to Mexico and bring them up here, we might all be better off. Think about it.
    Anonymous

• If they were a murderer? I'd feel about them the same way I'd feel about an American citizen who commits murder..
    msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 10:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• this country was and is build on the backs of illegals they do the jobs that natural born americans dont want. we talk about illegals but do we stop to think about how much money they have to pay to become citizen, its tens of thousands of dollars. how can they pay this if the jobs they get dont even pay them minimiun wage. i know many illegals and they are decent hardworking people that just want a better life. so instead of condemnning these people we need to thank them for making this country great.
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 10:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• They are breaking the law...hence the word "illegal"......common sense people.....Why is this law in place if no one is going to enforce it!
    Anonymous