How come no one prepares you for how difficult breastfeeding can be??

I don't remember being told that breastfeeding can be very difficult - I just expected it to happen right away without any issues. I am done breastfeeding now (I pumped the entire time because my son would not latch on), but I wish the doctors would dedicate some time to explaining this process, showing you how to do it, addressing some common issues, etc. especially if you are a first-time mom!

tarakenyon06

Asked by tarakenyon06 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree! I always tell people that it doesn't just come easily to everyone. It is hard work, but truly worth it in the end.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I have wondered the same thing every 2-3 hours for the last 10 months lol
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think everyone's perception is different. I expected it to be really hard and painful and it ended up being really easy and totally painless.

It really is the kind of thing you need to research yourself. Read books, attend classes, join groups, etc... everyones experience will be different.

Also, doctors give horrible advice on breastfeeding. I wouldn't trust anything they told me... get info from a source that actually knows about the subject!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Wow? Really? I was told over and over again that it would come with complications, but not to let that stop me... My OB, the Peds, the people at WIC... I heard it over and over... I think if anything they don't tell people more because they are afraid to scare them away from doing it. I never felt like I had another option but to nurse, it was just the expected thing - between friends, family & doctors I didn't really even know there was an option to use formula if it wasn't absolutely needed (with my first two, that's changed now). But at the same time I never once thought it was going to be easy... So I guess maybe it depends on where you are, here you don't EVER hear about formula, it's simply not something people except, so moms are pushed in to and over educated about breastfeeding...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• To be honest, I exclusively breastfed all three of my kids and my first doctor was shocked that I was, and for a year +, and he flat out told me he didn't know much about it and I would need to consult a lactation person for questions. Formula feeding is so common these days that I think most people assume that is how moms will feed their babies and BF comes as a surprise. I have found the best info comes from experienced friends, anyway!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I understand, being a new Mom myself, I had hoped that it would be easy, of course I was never told it would be that things can happen, and that no matter what to keep at it. I felt that I wasn't really prepared as much as I had hoped and only lasted just about 3 months, I had to where a nipple shield it was really painful when he sucked otherwise. I hope to go further and not have such a time with my next.
    But, I guess its like anything else it takes work and resilance.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• often, on here i will tell new moms to be that it is something that seems like it should be the most natural thing, but it is not.
    most of my children were born at home with a midwife. they were great about breastfeeding support. i had one son in the hospital (my second child) and the nurses and lactation consultants were terrible!!!! had i not successfully breast fed my first son, i would not have breast fed my second.
    breastfeeding can be hard work, and it does require a lot of dedication.
    sorry about your latching issues. did you come on here for support?
    a few of my kids were tongue tied...and the midwives helped with that.
    my first son did not even try to latch on until he was 23 hours old!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I agree! I really think that all moms, and moms to be, should get in touch with their local La Leche League. I found that these ladies are the most helpful, wonderful women around! I think that anyone who is expecting, nursing, thinking about nursing, should attend the LLL meetings. Most chapters meet once a month, and while there IS a membership fee, membership is NOT required to attend meetings, call and/or get help from a leader. I believe that LLL is the most wonderful resource for pregnant and nursing women.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010