Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marriage paperwork.....

What all needs to be done legally when you get married? Who all needs to be informed of your name change and what all needs to be done?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (2)
  • best to search for whatever state you are in.
    A lot depends on a lot of things.... has either person been married before? you'll need divorce decree. You'll need birth certificates and prob another form of id. You may need blood work done. You'll have to do it with in certain amt of time BEFORE getting married.
    Once married, you'll need to (if you ARE taking his name) change on SS, credit cards, insurance, mort, any bank accounts, w2, doctors offices, drivers license....

    Answer by MrsDAP at 2:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

  • First you have to get the marriage license. The rules vary by state. Some require a waiting period however, some have a expiration period too. You both have to sign the paperwork and there is a fee. After you are married the paperwork is then sent in and you will receive the marriage certificate sometime later. You don't have to change your name but if you chose to you will need to change it with social security, drivers license, passport, and credit cards to start with. Then there are all the other places your name is found - online, at work etc. Some places require a certified copy some do not. Which is one reason I did not chose to change my name.

    Answer by Keksie at 2:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.