Was I being offensive?

So I had to run to the store late last night for breakfast foods, milk and juice...it was 1130pm...only one lane was open, and i didnt feel like doing the self check out since i a had a few coupons. Ok the lady at the cash register had some of her fingertips missing, like at the nuckle..ok no problem, she was doing her job great...2 other people got in line behind me so i asked if she would like some help bagging my groceries. thinking back on it, she probably thought i was being rude...i was just trying to get it done faster. How would you have felt if you were the lady at the check out? I feel realy bad now!

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I start bagging my own groceries sometimes when there is no bagger. She probably didn't even think twice.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would have done the same. She was probably thankful that you helped.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't think it is rude. I usually bag my own groceries regardless of who is the checker. I would not worry about it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Having worked in a grocery store for 20 years, she probably welcomed the help.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I always bag my own.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, you did nothing wrong......sometimes we overthink things....not to worry... :)
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't think you were being rude at all. I always help bag all of my groceries at the store just to help move the line along. I'm sure you're worried about nothing, and she was probably grateful for the help. If she was offended by it in any way, that might be because she is oversensitive about her hands. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Treefrog64

Answer by Treefrog64 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• dont sweat it!!
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't think it was rude. She wouldn't have the position if she was incapable of doing it.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I can see where you are coming from. I sometimes second guess myself in those types of situations but the bottom line is this, would you have asked the same question if she wasn't missing her finger tips? I know I hold the door open for people, I offer to help people if it looks like they need it. But there is a hesitation when the person is in a wheelchair or is missing an arm etc. but then I just think why should that matter. I just do what I think is kind and helpful and if they are secure with themselves they appreciate it just like most people would. Did the clerk react in a manner that made you feel like she was offended?
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 17, 2010