Is my mouse dieing?

My computer mouse has the scroll thing in the middle between the two buttons so I can scroll down the page easily. It's not working to well. Is this a sign my mouse is dieing?

Its got a cord, so not wireless. It's got a red eye thing instead of a ball. It's about two years old.

I know this is a weird question but I don't know much about computer accessories and when their time is coming to a end.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• any gunk or dirt partially covering the eye?

what type and color of surface are you using it on?

and the scroll wheel in the middle can still get dirt in it and need cleaned out, but it's really just easier to go buy a new one... I think I paid $15 for mine, Logitech brand, has worked for over 3 years now...
    Anonymous

• There should be like a little door or something like that that the ball is peeking through, open it. Take a Q-tip ( or a couple of them) with some alcohol ( rubbing not drinking :) )and clean the ball and the "socket" off. Just barely moisten the q-tip don't saturate it. also clean anything else the q-tip will let you get near. That should do the d  trick. ( I've done it before)

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My scroll on my mouse quit working 2 months ago....I still try to scroll with it though.... LOL habit really! DH, works with computers, and he said there isn't much he can do, that I just need a new mouse..... We just haven't gotten it yet....it's low priority for us!! LOL

So, I guess once it completely dies I'll get a knew one.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• oh and DH did the clean with rubbing alcohol thing.....it didn't "fix" it!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I agree that it is time to get a new mouse, and save the old one for emergency back up. I love my optical mouse (with wires.) I had a ball mouse several times and got very tired of the ball needing cleaning. The optical has lasted years.

Answer by Bmat at 10:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• So sad, this mouse has been great to me. I keep trying to scroll, like it might start working again.
    Anonymous