My two year old son doesn't speak but makes a constant humming sort of noise.

The Dr has said he is a late talker and not to worry.I do , however. I have two older children and they were not like this

Mottley

Asked by Mottley at 2:24 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Awwwww, I would definitely take him to another doctor. It seems like my son was talking up a storm at age 1. I know all kids are different but 2 seems a little late. I say get a second opinion since you have a feeling something isn't right. Mother's Intuition is usually right :o(

Good Luck and I will be praying everything is OK!!

~Alyssa M.
    www.sandamaliska.blogspot.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 2:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would be asking for a referral for a good pediatric speech therapist. It might be that he is a late talker, but you don't want to wait to find out that he has a bigger issue. There are some exercises you can do to help build/strengthen/stimulate the muscles. Here are a few that I know of from a speech therapist friend.

Have him drink thick milkshakes threw a regular straw.
    Blow bubbles.
    Rub a toothbrush briskly around inside his cheeks, parts of his tongue to stimulate those areas.
    Have him blow through a horn, or a harmonica to make sound
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:28 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Try making him say what he wants...like ask him if he wants his cup or what he wants to drink snack etc. My uncle wouldnt talk either and it was because everyone would just give things to him if he would grunt and point at it. You can also look into a speach class for him. Good luck and dont worry to much....
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Definitely get him seen by a development specialist/speech therapist. The humming reminds me of children,like mine,on the autism spectrum

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My Son was the same way until He was almost 3..now He is nearly 3 1/2 and talks Our ears off! He was potty trained before He could even say "potty." =]
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• my ped ignored my concerns
    sent our child to a daycare, 2nd day, teacher mentioned speech delay
    i asked her to write her concerns down
    the doctor took this and then referred our child to therapist
    (funny, doc did not listen to mom but teacher who knew my child for two days)= idiot doctor
    anyway, she was in birth to three
    then saw another doc, yes-autism
    still in therapy for speech

i would seek out another doctor who will refer to speech therapist
    read up on autism signs, see if your child fits into spectrum
    therapist will not say autism or no autism, but if thinks yes, will tell you to seek out doc for testing

good luck
    i you would like to write me, i can go into some early signs= besides lack of speech
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You should definetly seek another opinion. That is not developmentally appropriate behavior.

You can contact your local school district to find out about early intervention services.

Good luck!
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He may learn in phonics, try singing him words you want him to repeat.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:50 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I agree with Butterfly, could possibly point to autism....my dd is aspergers :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Definately have him seen by someone else. My nephew only said 20 words at 2 years and they sent him for therapy because they wanted him saying 50.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010