How long did it take you to be comfortable who someone watching you child/ren?

My son is now 2 years old going to be three soon . I have him in a homeschoolers group where we take the kids on field trip and they interact with each other twice a week. My husband wants him to start daycare but I am having issues. As a mother I am very protective of what he is around and who is caring for him . I read reports of daycares abusing kids and neglect but know at some point I have to allow him to be in school .
How and when do you let go and let your child attend school?

karing4elmas

Asked by karing4elmas at 2:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Money & Work

• I am with you! Wait as long as possible on daycare because no one there will take care of him as well as his mother. I think children pick up some bad habits in daycare too. However, the social and learning how to take direction from other adults is a benefit. I would have him do a parent/ toddler class at this age. I did not put my children in preschool until age 3 and they are older now and both are thriving in full time elementary school.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Honestly, I liked my daycare provider from the minute I met her. I put my son in daycare when he was about 6 months old. She was very friendly and open, I could drop by or call whenever I felt like it, and he took to her immediately. He's 2 years old now, he calls her "grandma", she's already told me she will keep him at her place when I go into labor (I'm currently pregnant), and I know she spoils him rotten....
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 2:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I had to go back to work when my son was 2 months old, I was lucky enough to have my mother watch him until he was 15 months old, then he started part time at a center which he hated and it was not good for him emotionally, I recently pulled him out 4 months ago, I found an in home provider who he loves and has made so many positive changes in, however I will NEVER trust anyone completely with my son and its a daily reminder when I drop him off that I should have gone to college and although its not too late for me to do that, my untreated adhd and learning disabilty which were both undetected until I was 30, do prevent me from moving forward at the time being.. I tried to go to college 2 times and now I can understand why it didn't work but its horrible to trust someone with your whole world...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My son goes to 4 year old preschool for 2 and a half hours every morning.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Do you research of the daycare. Make visits so you can see how the staff interacts with the children and your child. Maybe they'd allow you to stay with him for the first few days until you are comfortable leaving him. Talk to other momma's who use the daycare also. Maybe you could also just take him part time at first, start gradually and work your way up. Might make you more comfortable with the idea.
    You;re the momma though, so you do what you feel is in your son's best interest.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• He never went to daycare because his grandma volunteered to watch him.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I sent my oldest son to preschool at 2 and 1/2 for 3 hours a day (he's 4 now).

I bring my 16 month old with me to the gym every day. He stays in the daycare there for 2 hrs. He loves it!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I stay in a area of Chicago where everyone has nannies and kids are put into daycare after 6 weeks. I hate it because some of the nannies smoke and just in my opinion horrible things around the kids. I see this and know that anyone can fool you and some people are vey nice but have moments where they don't think . I am considering waitng until he can talk well enough to tell me if something happens.
    karing4elmas

Comment by karing4elmas (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My DD started daycare at 12 months of age. She did great, and today her DCP is a very good friend. She just stopped going in May (age 3.5).

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The only people who have ever watched my toddler are my parents. There isn't anyone else and my in-laws live two hours away. In fact, I don't think I'd trust my in laws watching her because they barely know her. I'll feel better when she starts preschooler because she'll have a big enough vocabulary at that point to tell me what went on that day.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010