what age can a child begin to sit in the front seat? Is there a weight requirement?

rebeccadac

Asked by rebeccadac at 2:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think they are suppose to be 12, but my son is 9 and I let him sit in the front sometimes, but my air bags turn off when he does because of his weight so that is not an issue like older vehicles where the air bags stay on.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 2:34 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• depends on the state you live in. In NC they have to over 12. Kids are also required to be in car/booster seats until they are 8 or weigh 80 lbs.
    karensue65

Answer by karensue65 at 2:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Our state just passed definitive age, height and weight requirements. The minimum age is 13. The child has to be at least 4'10" and over a certain weight. My 11 yr old passes the height and weight category but obviously not the age. And she doesn't look 13 (unlike her 12 yr old brother who is tall and looks older.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think it's 12. There is a notice right on the sun visor of the passenger seat. It's because the force of the air bag can break a child's neck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Some states have requirements like at least 12 and weigh 100 lbs. I know at least one state has a height requirement of At least 60inches tall.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Grr..I hit post before I meant to. I was only going to add that in our Pediatricians office they have a poster up with this same question. The answer given by the Dr "Truthfully, not until they can drive themselves. The safest place in a vehicle for a child is the back seat"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• How can they pass a height requirement? Some people may never reach 4'10".
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• LOL so true! my best friend is barely 4 11!
    rebeccadac

Comment by rebeccadac (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yeah I always wondered why it's different .. short adults can be in front and drive but kids have to be in the back seat, by short I mean under 5 ft.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• out here you have to be 15yrs old
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 7:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010