Am I the only one who doesn't think belching and farting is funny?

My kids are constantly belching and farting and they seem to think it's the most hilarious thing in the world (btw, they are 9 & 13). The worst part is, their Dad laughs right along with them, but frankly I think it's rude and I let them know it's rude and inappropriate behavior. I'm trying very hard to teach them manners, but I feel like I'm the only one. Am I being to hard on them?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 2:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• No not at all. That stuff is not ok in my house. I don't care if my boys wanna act silly and rude when they're older with their friends and what not- but I don't want that kind of behavior in my house when they're only 4 and 6.- I feel they'll have plenty of time to be gross on their own when they're older. My boys know that if you burp, you say excuse me and same with passing gas. And they both know not to talk about farting either. They have family members that do that at the dinner table and to me, that's just not ok behavior.

roseisrose

Answer by roseisrose at 2:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Of all the battles I do find worthy of fighting, these aren't high on the list at all. Everyone farts.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:42 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Unfortunately, every one (my three children and my husband) find this highly amusing. They always announce when they are going to do it, or proudly admit if they were the one who did it, and proceed to laugh about it. I don't laugh along with it, but I've learned to live with it. I think it may be a bonding thing for them. I don't think this is something you should get upset about; you've got to pick and choose your fights carefully, and I don't think this is one worth fighting over.
    Treefrog64

Answer by Treefrog64 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• "If it don't pay no rent its got to go"!! I love that saying about farts! Just had to add that for laughs! :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:54 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Boys love Potty Humor. My DH and boys are the same way. As long as it's confined to our home and car I just let it go, but if we're out it's a definite NO-NO.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 2:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think burps & farts are funny! But hey, we have to teach our children manners so I make it like OMG! & it's not accepted behavior in public but I snicker to myself! LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I don't think its funny but I have 2 boys and they just learned it from their dad. As long as they don't do it at the table or in public I leave them alone.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I feel the same way. My son is 3 and also does the same thing. I think boys are just being boys but I am trying to teach him to say, excuse me and such. I think it's rude and inappropriate too. You aren't alone! :o) I think at some point they probably need to realize that it's not polite! Stand your ground Momma! :o) (Especially if that's what you believe in!)

Good Luck!

~Alyssa M.
    www.sandamaliska.blogspot.com
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 2:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• It is funny! As long as they don't act that way when they are not home.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Apparantly it's funny when your 4yo is in the library and lets one rip loud and clear with a blank stare on her face. She just stood there and smiled and said quietly, "esscuuse me" then everyone started cracking up. I wanted to die.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2010