Anyone Have a Spirited/Strong WIlled Child???

How do you discipline since the traditional techniques DO NOT work with these kids??

coolchic320

Asked by coolchic320 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think the best way to handle these children is to stay very calm and be as consistent as possible. Fighting fire with fire is not going to work in this case! I recommend using behavior charts, time outs and a lot of your own persistence!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Mine is almost 7 and I am honestly still struggling with the same thing. Its hard. Good luck.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:47 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I agree with spottedpony. This type of child can work your nerves to the last degree, but never forget that you are the parent and the authority figure. I know they can make you want to throw a tantrum also:) Persistence and consistency are the keys here. Children innately know what you will and will not let them get away with. For that matter, this applies to people overall also--boundaries.

If you have to repeat a right behavior ten times, then repeat it ten times if needed. Once they see that you will not relent and give in, they will stop whatever it is. But then it starts all over with something else:) Good luck and they do grow up and calm down some:) Blessings!
    bamachild88

Answer by bamachild88 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My daughter doesn't listen for anything..She is 3 and if you don't give her what she wants then your mean...And she throws a fit. I wonder if they will ever grow out of it..
    sara_bru2000

Answer by sara_bru2000 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• both my girls are, and all it takes for us is consistancy with what we are doing. time outs don't work, rewards don't work... find something that does. for my girls it's the "brush your hair or you can't go to school", "eat your dinner or no grandmas tomorrow"...
    asil

Answer by asil at 6:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• A good way to handle them is to sit them down and talk with them calmly. Yelling at them won't do any good. I've learned this with my daughter. If we speak with her calmly, she calms down and starts listening.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yes is very true...yelling at them doesn't work and make it worst.Try to stay calm and just repeat the same thing 10 times until they get it ,that you are not going to give up.Done that with my daughter and its the only thing that works.
    VienaMira

Answer by VienaMira at 2:19 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• My two are both spirited/strong willed. It's work trying to get them to listen and, I fail more often than not...I guess this is an ongoing process o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 4:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• stay calm, be patient, and be consistent.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2010