Non-christians, S/O god reaching out question...

How many of the non-Christians on here turned away from Christianity because of its constant need to push their religion on everyone? Did the attempts to "save" you have "reverse" effect on you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not I... I discovered at a very young age that I simply did not believe what I was being taught. Through the years, the more I learned about religion as a whole, and the concept of any form of higher power, the less I believed it possible.
    Now as an adult, I am irked by those who partake of this religious flavor, and their need to 'inform' me. It is sad when I know more about their religion than they do, yet they are convinced that if I just knew about jesus, I would believe. *shakes head*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:59 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Me personally.

The acts and behaviours of **some** Christians has/had absolutely nothing to do with my choice in religion. I simply do not fully believe with 100% of my being/soul in Christian doctrine nor would I follow Christian doctrine 100% (since I do not believe in all the doctrine, I would not follow it in full faith). The path of Christianity is simply not my path.

. That is why I am not a Christian, not due to **some** people's behaviours and actions.. I do not hold an entire religion responsible or accountable for **some** of it's followers.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I was brought up Catholic. I actually really liked my church, our priest emphasized good will, kindness and love. I don't think I heard a single thing about homosexuality or abortion the entire time I was there. I really liked the sense of community and the motivation I was given to do good things, because "that's what god wants you to do."

In High School I had a born-again christian English teacher that pretty much ruined religion for me. He brought creationist discussion into a public school and brought up other inappropriate religious topics. He made me hate Christianity for presenting it in its ugliest form. I was convinced that that was not what god was. He tried to make people feel stupid for disagreeing.

Today I am an atheist for rational/scientific reasons. I have the same motivation to do good. Instead of serving god, however, I serve humanity. I do still respect my catholic church, I think it's a great place.
    SabrinaBean

Answer by SabrinaBean at 3:04 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• No, I was unaware of the pushiness that seems to happen quite a bit. I dont think you can ever truly "see" it until after you leave it and get outside that pretty box then you see things you never could or would have.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Not the chief reason I left the Church...

BUT

One of the key reasons I STAY AWAY!!!
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Feeling that proselytizing was wrong is just one of many reasons I questioned my Christian upbringing. It's not the only reason my beliefs changed though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'm sure the pushiness is often a factor in someone's choice to leave or stay away from Christianity. I certainly don't believe it ever actually serves its intended purpose of bringing people to the faith. And I don't agree with the attempt to convert or convince others of our own religious convictions, whatever those may be, so the tendency for my fellow Christians to push and so forth is also something I don't agree with.I believe the decision to convert should be based on whether a person truly feels as though a religion resonates with them and speaks to them on a personal level. Its for an individual alone to decide. Its not our place to go out and fish for converts. I do believe we are obligated to sincerely represent our religion, not out of the purpose of converting others, but because the whole point of spirituality/faith is to live it. If its not really lived, what's the point? But that's not about conversion tactics.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• That was a small reason that I left the church... reading the bible cover to cover did the big push away for me.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 5:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My leaving Christianity was based on my own research, prayer, and thoughts. Although pushy people in any religion can be irritating, I don't base my beliefs or doubts on other people's convictions. My walk with God is all that matters.

What is most irritating to me now is having Christians assume that because I am not a Christian I am not knowledgeable in it or that I never was a "true" Christian to begin with. I think Christians who feel the need to proselytize forget that many non-Christians were once a part of the Christian faith.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I have always been an atheist, so these things haven't affected my beliefs. It has made it harder to believe that not all Christians are the pushy, stereotypical jerks that we see so often here. There are some cool Christian women on here that remind me that they're not all like *that*, though. Mostly the pushy, stereotypical ones (I can think of two that really stand out often!) remind me how happy I am that I don't deal with their religion. I read the obnoxious, hateful things they post, and wonder how anyone could want to feel that way and believe those things.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:01 PM on Nov. 17, 2010