FB and Church

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40235085/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/?gt1=43001

Pastor tells married parishioners to delete their Facebook accounts or leave the church, because of the infidelity that FB has caused.

Is this guy for reals?

ballewal

Asked by ballewal at 2:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• FB has not *caused* any infidelity. OMFG. seriously.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Wow, I would leave the church for being told any of that. I don't even have a FB, neither does SO. No one should judge or tell someone how to live ESPECIALLY a pastor! UGH!

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Oh wow...what about my church's FB page????? LOL!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:12 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• There are multiple pastors/youth pastors in our family, associated with 2 different churches. They are all over fb, their parishoners are all over fb, and they post events and pics from those events on a weekly basis on the official church fb pages. Which leaves me to ask - was it this guy's wife who caught him talking to his gf on fb, or was it his gf who found out he was married on fb?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• should all ppl quit everything b/c some ppl cant handle it? should no one drink b/c some are alcoholics? should no one have sex b/c some cant do it responsibly? etc etc etc.

i have lots of old friends (mostly men) ive found on FB and ya know what...i have NO desire to cheat on my DH, go figure! id leave that church without a second thought! well...i probably wouldnt have become a member in the first place.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:45 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• FB doesn't make people cheat...people make people cheat! Guns dont kill people kill.
    Ann610

Answer by Ann610 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Wow...I wouldnt go to that church anymore because of the stupidity of the pastor preaching to me lol

Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• That does seem kinda far-fetched. My church has a facebook page, all our pastors have FB pages, most of the members do.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I wonder if he's got an FB girlfriend he doesn't want the church to find out about. Those who scream the loudest usually have that very thing to hide. Just look at how many anti-gay pastors turned out to be gay after all?

Frankly I don't see how his demand has merit. Depending on how that church is organised and it's bylaws he could be laughed out of a job. My church uses FB extensively. Almost all the members have FB and we communicate very well within FB.

As to the charge that FB cause's infidelity....it's ridiculous. Does anyone sane accuse a hammer of causing a busted thumb?? No, it's always user error. FB is a social networking tool. If you use that tool to have an affair then that's the users choice, not something FB caused and demanded to happen.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 7:26 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Legalism/ law based churches quench the Holy Spirit and bind the people in there. It is wrong... there is no grace just control. Yeah there are people like that. Christians Pray for them.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2010