How would you feel about this and what would you say/do?

I suffer from severe depression, I have since childhood due to my abusive parents. For the past 2 years I've been REALLY bad, imagine Debbie Downer and you've got me lol. Anyways, everyone that I'm close to is always worrying about me, saying that they'll stand by me through this, and that they wish I'd cheer up and go back to the "old" me (the me before 2 years ago). Yesterday I FINALLY felt happy, it was like after 2 years I had finally broken free of my depression shell and was in a glorious mood. I had a friend of mine over and we talked while our guys played video games. We were laughing and talking when all of a sudden the guys started complaining about me!! They said that I was too happy and too hyper and they asked me if there was anything I could do to act "normal" again. WHAT. THE. F*CK?!? I didn't say a word, I held my feelings in, but I'm telling you that they killed my happy feeling. How would you feel?

-xoxo-

Asked by -xoxo- at 2:58 PM on Nov. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• You keep on being happy and live one day at a time... heck with those guys and good for you.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I felt really offended and embarassed, these people know something really personal about me and they were treating me like I'm crazy. I was mostly pissed at my dh, I can't believe that after all this time of him saying that he'd love the old me back that he would make a comment after he finally got his wish for a day. I worry that when I finally start feeling better for days, weeks, months, or even years at a time that people are going to be annoyed by me or continue to make comments. I really wasn't acting odd, just really happy and talkative with my friend.

-xoxo-

Comment by -xoxo- (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think you should continue doing that. You need to be you, for you! Its just something that "they" will all have to get used to again, whether they like it or not.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Does your SO/Dh understand what you go through? I would sit him down and have a talk and explain how that made you feel. And ask him why he would have said that. He should be supporting you and be glad that you can be happy again. No matter what he says though you need to do what you have to so you can continue being happy, holding your feelings in may not be the way to go. Good luck
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 3:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You need to be happy for yourself, not for anyone else. You need to not worry about what they say or think, it felt great, right? You were laughing and having a good time, right? Then, that is what matters. I know where you are coming from though, I suffer from depression too, i have been on medicine at least 3 times in my life, but I don't continue to take it. Do what is right for you though!
    flnangl82

Answer by flnangl82 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I do know what it is like to be depressed and have a really great day out of my shell and if anybody said anything to dampen it I would retreat back into my shell and find even harder to come out of it. You have every right to be upset and hurt. Nobody knows the real burden of depression unless they have been there. Tell him how you feel during a moment where you feel he might be willing to listen and express that you were hurt.
    Anonymous

• when guys get around guys, they lose their brains! im sure they didnt mean anything by it, only they wanted to focus on THEIR games!.. girl you just keep being happy!! congrats on feeling better anyway!!! dont let anyone or anyones remarks let you down!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:56 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would speak to him and let him know that what he said embarrassed you and made you feel like he doesn't really want the old you back. But I would also try and look at it from his side. Is he a mean husband, or does he generally say things to hurt or embarrass you? If he normally has good intentions then try to give him the benefit of the doubt or a chance to explain. Maybe he was trying to be light-hearted, or maybe you were being a little loud and instead of saying he couldn't hear his game he just tried to make a joke that totally flopped. I'm not saying he was in the right, I am just saying if he's a good guy otherwise he may have tried to be funny. It should have occurred to him that you wouldn't find it so cute but then, things like this don't always occur to me. Don't let him or anyone else take away those happy feelings you have because you deserve them.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:00 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Don't let them or anyone else kill your happiness, thats your and yours to keep! Men just dont get it do they! Whatever made you happy, keep doing it ,maybe next time minus the men!!!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Stay positive! Try your best to let anything they say roll right off. Maybe next time you feel happy, be with just your girlfriends and leave your husband behind!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 5:16 PM on Nov. 17, 2010